GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Feock

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Feock (Cornish: Lannfiek) is situated on the river Fal, in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Kea, on the east by the River Fal, which separates it from St Just-in-Roseland and Philleigh, on the south by Restronguet Creek, which separates it from Mylor, and on the west by Perranarworthal. The name of the parish is based on the name of a saint, Fioc or Feoca, about whom little is known. There is a local tradition the saint lived in a small hut near a well in the area named La Feock.

The pretty village of Feock is on the western shore of the river Fal, and at the head of Carrick Roads natural harbour; it may be approached from the Truro/Falmouth road or across the river by the King Harry car (chain) ferry. Oyster Boats are a beautiful sight as they sail back and forth in the winter when the oyster beds are being dredged. It has been recorded that in a good season, a fleet of thirty to forty can be working in this area and around Restronguet Point. They were originally built on the quay at Pill, but not all to the same exact design.

One of the oldest sites in the parish is at Tregew, first mentioned in 1315, and originally a farmhouse. It later became something more grander and was owned by the Edmonds family in the 17th century.

To the west of Feock is Trelissick House and its extensive gardens, now owned by the National Trust. A little village in this parish is named Come-to-Good; here was established the first meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) in this part of Cornwall. The parish of Devoran was formed from part of this parish in 1873. The main villages in the parish were Devoran (which transferred when it became a separate parish), the Churchtown, Pill, La Feock (or Le Vege), Trevella, and King Harry

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the parish church.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Feock has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The place-names below were taken mainly from Dr. Grover's unpublished typescript and Charles Henderson's works, both in the Library at the Truro Museum. We are specially grateful to Mr. Richard JENKIN for his personal assistance, and have also studied works by Morton Nance and P. A. S. Pool. [Source of extracted material: Feock with Devoran and Carnon Downs In The 19th Century, Part II; copyright by the Extra Mural Department, University of Exeter, 1973]

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Feock parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

Part of this parish became the parish of Devoran in 1873.

  • Population in 1801 - 696 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 968 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1093 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1210 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1476 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1934 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2411 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2408 persons, plus 8 living on shipping
  • Population in 1881 - 2047 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1716 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1698 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1725 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1744 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1589 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1971 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 2157 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 3154 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 3230 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 3495 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 3505 persons
  • population in 2011 - 3752 persons

Return to top of page

Societies

The Carnon Downs Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 2947 acres of land, 16 acres of water, 42 acres of tidal water and 306 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th Maqrch 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.