We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Flushing

Flushing (Cornish: Flushyn) is a well-sheltered fishing village half a mile from Falmouth. It is situated in the Hundred of Kerrier and was created from part of Mylor parish on 23rd June 1844. It is well-placed at the foot of a steep hill, having a southern aspect, and is a short journey across the water from Falmouth's Prince of Wales pier.

The Dutch constructed this port in the 18th century, and gave it the name of the Dutch port of Flushing from whence they came. It soon became a high-class residential district where the captains of the packets lived and whose fine houses may still be seen today. There is a ferry service from here to Falmouth. In consequence of the mildness of its temperature, it became popular in the late 19th century with the old and infirm. It is now a centre for oyster fishing and recreational sailing. HM Training ship Ganges, which was used to train boys, was located off here.

The hamlet of Tregew is contained in the parish.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 68 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. In the 1841 Census, Flushing was enumerated as part of Mylor.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of Flushing parish (HO107/1911), Enumeration Districts 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Flushing parish (RG9/1564), Enumeration Districts 1d and 2d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Flushing parish (RG10/2290), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Flushing parish (RG11/2315), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Flushing parish (RG12/1833), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Flushing area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8033 and is dedicated to St Peter. It was built of stone in the Norman style in 1842 as a chapel-of-ease. It was opened for divine worship in February 1842 and was consecrated in August of that year. It consists of a nave, apse and bell turret; it has a single bell. It was renovated in 1871 by subscriptions collected by Captain Nevill Norway RN, when a vestry was added. The organ was brought from Exeter Hall, London. The church registers date from 1873.
  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel built in 1815, Bible Christians had one built in 1833, and Primitive Methodist had a chapel built in 1866 here.

Church Records

  • The LDS Church batch numbers for Flushing are: Wesleyan Methodist C065121. These are searchable by surname.
  • Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1837 to 1900) of the Falmouth Wesleyan Circuit (Penryn Section), and Penryn Wesleyan Chapel marriages (1893 to 1899). The area covers Penryn, Mabe, Mawnan, Constantine, Budock, St Gluvias, Stithians, Flushing, Edgcumb and Mylor.

Civil Registration

The parish of Flushing became part of the Falmouth Registration District on its creation; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Truro Registration District.

The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Flushing are available.
You can see pictures of Flushing which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Flushing has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW808338 (Lat/Lon: 50.163547, -5.070617), Flushing which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Flushing parish was part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

Flushing was created from Mylor parish in 1844.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

  • Population in 1851 - 896 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1006 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1006 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 861 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 995 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 858 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 887 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 887 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 850 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 734 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 740 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 820 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 646 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 675 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 670 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 000 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 0000 acres of land.