The parish of Germoe (Cornish: Sen Germow) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It
is bounded on the north, east and south by Breage, and on the west by St
Hilary. The name is derived from Saint Germoch or Germogh, about whom little is
known. Germoe has been considered as a separate parish for many years, but the
Church has been subordinate to that of Breage. It is located in the far
south-west of Cornwall, sandwiched between the parishes of Godolphin and
Breage. This was eminently a mining parish, but it also had some good farms.
Originally, the houses and shops were built to satisfy the needs of miners
digging for tin and china clay, but today both these industries have ceased and
the village survives with about a third of the population that existed in 1841.
A war memorial stands on Tregonning Hill, the highest point in the
The Godolphin family (the Dukes of Leeds) were the principal
landowners in the parish. The chief villages were the Churchtown, Tresowes and
Boscreege. There is a large sandy beach at Praa Sands, which is (was) within the
parish (but now more closely related to Breage parish).
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- A book entitled Story of an Ancient Parish - Breage with Germoe, Index & Chapter 8, is available on-line.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Germoe (HO107/137), Enumeration
Districts 12 to 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church
- film No. 241260.
- The 1851 Census of Germoe (HO107/1913), Enumeration
Districts 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Germoe is listed in Volume
33. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Germoe (RG9/1574), Enumeration
Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Germoe (RG10/2308), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Germoe (RG11/2326), Enumeration
Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Germoe (RG12/1842), Enumeration
Districts 10 and 11, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
Germoe and Breage parishes have been closely linked over the ages, although they are now two distict church parishes.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW5829 and was dedicated to St Germochus. No
visible remains of the earliest period of the church foundations survive, and
it is almost certain that the services would be held in the open air in the
consecrated ground, and any building that there may have been would take the form of
a small oratory built of rough timber or dry stone masonry by the priest, in
which he would celebrate the sacred service of the Celtic Church. His
congregation assembled outside in the open around the Celtic cross under which
he stood to preach. In course of time a wooden erection was built to shelter
the congregation from the elements. Later, as confidence grew and numbers
increased, a small rough stone building followed and served until the advent of
the Norman period, when a more permanent and well constructed building was
erected. It appears that the services of those far off days were remarkable for
their heartiness and volume of sound, and indeed the absence of loud singing
was considered to indicate a want of interest and enthusiasm.
century was remarkable for the building of stone churches and an examination of
the stonework of Germoe church reveals indications of a Norman cruciform church
building of about this year. Erected probably by William Fitz Robert , Earl of
Cornwall. It is possible that this building superseded a small stone church
which had been build several hundred years earlier. The south wall between the
tower and the porch differs in construction from the remainder of the walls,
and appears to be of an earlier date.
The present church comprises a
chancel, nave, north aisle, south transept, and a short north transept. The
chancel was reconstructed in the mid-19th century, when a major refurbishment occured. The nave is separated from the north aisle by a low arcade of six four-centred arches of fine native
granite supported on well-moulded pillars of the same material. At the east end
of the north aisle was the Godolphin family pew. There is a south porch, and a
north door. The tower is a well-built structure of granite ashlar; it is of
three stages and is finished with battlements and pinnacles.
- Roman Catholic. In 1961, Fr. A.P. Byrne C.R.L. had the opportunity to purchase a private Chapel on the main road at Praa Sands. (It is thought that this Chapel was first used for Sunday Mass in 1925). The Chapel had originally been opened and blessed by Bishop Barrett in 1935, and later abandoned. During the period of disuse, Mass was celebrated at "Seaforth", a house on the main road at Praa Sands. Thereafter, it was celebrated at Tregembo Manor, Relubbus.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Balwest, which was built in 1829 to accommodate the growing population of miners and their families. It replaced the smaller 1798 chapel thought to have been sited close by; the chapel is still active at the beginning of the 21st century, having been refurbished by a grant of money from the EEC. The chapel has a burial ground attached. There was also another Methodist Chapel on Kenegy Common.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1679 - 1991, Burials 1682 - 1991,
Marriages 1682 - 1985, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1610 - 1673.
- The OPC has placed on-line Baptisms at Germoe 1682 to 1767; however, there are some gaps in years.
- Baptisms at Germoe 1816 to 1913 are also on-line; however there are also some gaps in years.
- Baptisms 1682 to 1906 are available on the OPC database - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1732 to 1840 for this parish.
- Baptisms of Germoe (1732 to 1840) are available on fiche from the Cornish Forefathers'
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Marazion Methodist Circuit, and baptisms (1877 to 1900) of the Marazion Ebenezer Chapel. Areas include: Marazion, St Hilary, Ludgvan, Germoe, St Erth, Breage, Gulval, and Goldsithney.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Lelant, Ludgvan and St Erth Chapels. These comprise baptisms (1855 to 1900) for Chyangwheal, Hayle Foundry, Ludgvan & St Erth Chapels (Ludgvan Chapel Register is called "Marazion Wesleyan Circuit from 1883". St Ives, Penzance, Towednack, Lelant, and Ludgvan). The areas cover Lelant, Breage, Crowan, St Erth, Hayle, Ludgvan, St Hilary, Germoe and Marazion.
- Banns. The OPC has placed on-line Banns (1754 to 1812 and 1824 to 1886) at Germoe, which are searcheable either by name or year.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1538 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has placed on-line:
- The Cornwall Parish Register Index contains burial details for this parish 1813 to 1837. The index is searcheable by surname.
The parish of Germoe was originally in the Helston Registration District;
there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It
is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.
The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.
- The story of an ancient parish, Breage with Germoe, with some account of its armigers, worthies and unworthies, smugglers and wreckers, its traditions and superstitions by H.R. Coulthard (Published 1913) is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Germoe are available on-line.
- OPC Assistance.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC for Germoe has produced a family history
website for the parish.
- Other Assistance.
- There is also an additional genealogical website which covers Germoe.
- There is also a a message board on the website. It is only for those with a genealogical interest within the area of St Hilary, Germoe, Marazion and St Michael's Mount.
Germoe parish was part of the Helston
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 629 persons
- Population in 1811 - 735 persons
- Population in 1821 - 830 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1175 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1336 persons
- Population in 1851 - 970 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1015 persons
- Population in 1871 - 953 persons
- Population in 1881 - 588 persons
- Population in 1891 - 497 persons
- Population in 1901 - 347 persons
- Population in 1911 - 392 persons
- Population in 1921 - 334 persons
- Population in 1931 - 313 persons
- Population in 1951 - 451 persons
- Population in 1961 - 399 persons
- Population in 1971 - 403 persons
- Population in 1981 - 435 persons
- Population in 1991 - 502 persons
- Population in 2001 - 508 persons
- Population in 2011 - 549 persons
The parish comprises 1331 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 19th March 2014 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.