Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Grade

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Grade

The parish of Grade (Cornish: Sen Grad) is situated on the Lizard, in the Menege district, and in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. The parish was divided into four detached portions. The first portion, upon which the church stands, is bounded on the west and north by Ruan Minor, on the east by the sea, and on the south by Landwednack. The second portion was bounded on the north and east by St Keverne and the sea, on the south by Ruan Minor, and on the west by Ruan Major. The third portion is surrounded by the parish of Ruan Major. The fourth portion was bounded on the on the north, east and south by the parish of Ruan Major, and on the west by Mullion.

Grade is situated on the most southerly peninsula in Cornwall. The fishing village of Cadgwith, which was partly in this parish and partly in Ruan Minor, is still active but was more important in the days of pilchard fishing, when the cry of 'Hevva! Hevva!' alerted the fisherman that a shoal of fish had been sighted. By the end of the 19th century the pilchards had completely disappeared.

Because of small populations, in 1934 Grade united with Ruan Major and Ruan Minor to form a single parish of Grade - Ruan.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Grade (HO107/137), Enumeration Districts 14 and 15, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241260.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Grade (HO107/1918), Enumeration Districts 6a and 6b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Grade is listed in Volume 32. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Grade (RG10/2306), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Grade, (RG11/2325), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Grade (RG12/1841), Enumeration Districts 11 and 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Grade area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The old parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7114 and was dedicated to St Grada and the Holy Cross. and the Holy Cross. It comprised a chancel, nave, and north and south transept. The south transept, also known as the Erisey aisle was once the burial place for that ancient family. The tower, a well-built structure, still remains; it is of two stages, is finished with battlements and pinnacles, and contained three bells.
    The body of the church, being considered too dilapidated for repair, was taken down in 1863, and a new building was erected. The new church comprises a chancel, nave, and south porch. The only entrance is through the south porch.
  • Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in the parish are not yet known.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1700 - 1988, Burials 1707 - 1964, Marriages 1707 - 1944, Boyd's Marriage Index 1597 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1597 - 1673.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1813 to 1902 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1707 to 1840 (with marriages) for this parish and these are available for purchase on Parish Chest..
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1597 to 1836, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1674 to 1812, and marriages 1813 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD marriages 1707 to 1840 (with baptisms) for this parish and these are available for purchase on Parish Chest..
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1707 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1836, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The modern parish of Grade-Ruan was originally in the Helston Registration District as Grade, Ruan Major and Ruan Minor; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.

The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Grade which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Strays. Persons living in a parish but born elsewhere are known as "Strays". Strays found in Grade in the 1861 Census are available on-line.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Grade has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Grade to another place.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW710140 (Lat/Lon: 49.982041, -5.195764), Grade which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Grade parish was part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

In 1934, Grade parish united with both Ruan Major and Ruan Minor to form a single parish called Grade - Ruan. Since 1951, the population figures include all three former parishes.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

  • Population in 1801 - 320 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 306 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 355 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 306 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 333 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 315 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 327 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 318 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 298 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 293 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 276 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 328 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 328 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 339 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 300 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 677 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 664 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 835 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 965 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1070 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1180 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Grade are available on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprises 2007 acres of land.