GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Gwinear

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Gwinear (Cornish: Sen Gwynnyer), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. To the north is the parish of Gwithian with Camborne also in the north going around to the east. Crowan is to the east going around to the south of Gwinear Parish, with St. Erth and Phillack both lying to the west. This parish lies on high ground south-west of Camborne and is composed of scattered farms and houses. There is archaeological evidence that farming in this area goes back at least to the 2nd century, as a defended farmhouse of that period was discovered in the parish. The village of Rosewarne was once in possession of the Arundells of Lanherne. Gwinear was the son of an Irish pagan king and is reputed to have been slaughtered together with his companions by the Cornish pagan king Theodoric.

Silver and copper mines and related industries were important in the past, but as elsewhere in Cornwall these have now declined. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Rosewarne and Herland mines produced silver, whilst Wheal Alfred and Wheal Relistian produced copper. In those days, the parish was a thriving mining community and one of the first steam engines ever to be built was installed at the Herland mine in 1758. Now the parish has camping and caravan parks and agriculture is the other source of industry.

Villages within the Parish are the Churchtown, Coswinsausin, Drannock, Fraddam, Tregortha, Rewala, Relistian, Carnhell Green, and Wall. The civil parishes of Gwinear and Gwithian were combined to form Gwinear-Gwithian in 1934.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

The Gwinear parish registers begin in 1560; however, the orginal register is in very poor condition.


Return to top of page

Civil Registration


The parish of Gwinear was originally in the Redruth Registration District until its dissolution. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have now been abolished. Gwithian-Gwinear is now part of the Penzance Registration District. Parishes in this registration district were: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.

The Superintendant Registrar of Penzance can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.


Return to top of page

Description & Travel



Return to top of page

Genealogy



Return to top of page

Historical Geography



Return to top of page

Manors


There were five Manors which held land in the Parish; they were: Connerton, Drannick, Gurlyn, Polkinghorne, and Roseworthy.


Return to top of page

Maps



Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.


Gwinear parish was part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


Return to top of page

Population


The civil parishes of Gwinear and Gwithian united to form 'Gwinear - Gwithian' in 1934. However, population figures were combined from 1901 for the joint Gwinear-Gwithian civil parish.

  • Population in 1801 - 1654 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1952 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2383 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2728 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2862 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2635 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2880 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2717 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2170 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2197 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 2123 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 2068 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1956 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1868 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1869 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1693 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1701 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 2255 persons (Gwinnear-Gwithian)
  • Population in 1991 - 2815 persons (Gwinnear-Gwithian)
  • Population in 2001 - 3032 persons (Gwinnear-Gwithian)
  • Population in 2011 - 3177 persons (Gwinnear-Gwithian)

Return to top of page

Probate Records


A list of Wills & Admons for Gwinear, Cornwall 1660 - 1773 is available on-line.


Return to top of page

Statistics


The parish comprises 4647 acres of land.


Return to top of page



Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 10th March 2014 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.