Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Herodsfoot

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Herodsfoot

Herodsfoot, (Cornish: Nanshiryarth), is in the Hundred of East. The meaning of the name is 'the foot of the stream at Heriard'. The name 'Heriard' was changed to Heriod in the 17th century and then to Herod in the 18th century. It is an attractive little village about three miles south west of Liskeard, situated in a place where four or five valleys meet, and where two tributaries of the West Looe river conjoin. Herodsfoot became quite a populous mining village in the early 19th century.

The parish was created from parts of Lanreath, St Pinnock and Duloe parishes in 1851. However, this civil parish no longer exists; its responsibilities are spread back again between the parishes from which it was created.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

No monumental inscriptions for this parish have yet been recorded.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Gunricks area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish was created in 1851. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2160, and was dedicated to All Saints. It was built in 1850 and is a substantial structure, well-buttressed, with a high-pitched roof, and western bell turret containing one bell. There is a chancel, nave, good south porch and a priest's door. In 1880 a new organ was installed.
    In 1936, St Cuby's at Duloe, and All Saints re-joined to become the united benefice of Duloe-with-Herodsfoot although both Parishes were still to be independent. Since then they have shared rectors and Priests-in-Charge and very often, in the early days of the United Benefice, a Curate who would live in the All Saints' Vicarage and have particular responsibility for the village.

    From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser. Friday 20th April, 1849:
    NEW CHURCH AT DULOE - A district has been formed at Herodsfoot, including a portion of the parish of Lanreath, and a portion of the parish of Duloe. The Rev. R. SCOTT, the incumbent of Duloe, has actively exerted himself to procure the necessary funds, in which he had received aid from his neighbours as well as from persons at a distance, who sympathize with him in his efforts. The appeal was also responded to by both the Diocesan and General Church Building Societies, the former contributing £70, and the latter £80, towards the church.
    A suitable site having been procured close by the village of Herodsfoot, and the necessary arrangements having been made, it had been determined to lay the first stone some days since, but it was postponed until Tuesday last, on account of the sudden death of the late Mr. BULLER, of Morval, a benefactor to the building fund, and who had engaged to perform the ceremony of laying the foundation-stone. On Tuesday last, the ceremony was performed by his son, Mr. J. F. BULLER, of Morval. Divine service having been celebrated in the parish church of Duloe, the congregation proceeded to Herodsfoot, and on reaching the gate of the proposed church-yard, a procession was formed, and headed by a large number of clergymen, proceeded to the site of the new church, repeating the 132nd Psalm. Several hundred persons were congregated, and in the course of the service the stone, a large block of granite, was lowered, and Mr. J. F. Buller assisted in adjusting it to its bed. The service was conducted by the Rev. RICHARD BULLER, of Lanreath, and the Rev. ROBERT SCOTT, of Duloe. The church will be built by Mr. RUNDLE, of Tavistock, from a design by Mr. HAYWARD, of Exeter, in the early English style. The church, which is to be called "All Saints", will be fitted with sittings for one hundred and sixty, the whole of which are to be free; and there are to be school-rooms adjoining. The estimated cost of the edifice is £1,500, and an endowment is promised as soon as it is built.

     
  • Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a chapel here.

Church Records

  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings are: Baptisms 1851 - 1968, Marriages 1851 - 1968.
  • Baptisms. Baptisms 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages. Marriages 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials. Burials 1850 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The civil parish of Herodsfoot was in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district were: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Gunricks which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gunricks has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX210600 (Lat/Lon: 50.412463, -4.520787), Gunricks which are provided by:

Occupations

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Herodsfoot parish became part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief once it was created.

Population

Population figures for Herodsfoot parish are generally enumerated with Lanreath.

  • Population in 1851 - 116 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 453 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 499 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 424 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 346 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 340 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 246 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 201 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 181 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 0 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 445 persons
    (includes Lanreath)
  • Population in 1991 - 505 persons
    (includes Lanreath)
  • Population in 2001 - 0 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 0 persons

Statistics

The parish comprised 1600 acres of land.