Herodsfoot, (Cornish: Nanshiryarth),
is in the Hundred of East. The meaning of the name is 'the foot of the stream
at Heriard'. The name 'Heriard' was changed to Heriod in the 17th
century and then to Herod in the 18th century. It is an attractive
little village about three miles south west of Liskeard, situated in a place
where four or five valleys meet, and where two tributaries of the West Looe
river conjoin. Herodsfoot became quite a populous mining village in the early
The parish was created from parts of Lanreath, St Pinnock
and Duloe parishes in 1851. However, this civil parish no longer exists; its
responsibilities are spread back again between the parishes from which it was
No monumental inscriptions for this parish have yet been recorded.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Herodsfoot was enumerated as part of Duloe, St Pinnock and Lanreath parishes.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Herodsfoot was enumerated at part of Duloe, St Pinnock and Lanreath parishes. The 1851 Census of Herodsfoot is included in (HO107/1903) for Duloe, Enumeration
Districts 2a, and for St Pinnock Enumeration
Districts 5b, which are available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Herodsfoot (RG9/1531) was enumerated as part of Duloe civil parish. The 1861 Census of Duloe, Enumeration
Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Herodsfoot was enumerated as part of Duloe and Lanreath civil parishes. It is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Herodsfoot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Herodsfoot is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish was created in 1851. The parish church is
located in OS Grid Square SX2160, and was dedicated to All Saints. It was built
in 1850 and is a substantial structure, well-buttressed, with a high-pitched
roof, and western bell turret containing one bell. There is a chancel, nave,
good south porch and a priest's door. In 1880 a new organ was installed.
1936, St Cuby's at Duloe, and All Saints re-joined to become the united
benefice of Duloe-with-Herodsfoot although both Parishes were still to be
independent. Since then they have shared rectors and Priests-in-Charge and very
often, in the early days of the United Benefice, a Curate who would live in the
All Saints' Vicarage and have particular responsibility for the village.
From the West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser. Friday 20th April, 1849:
NEW CHURCH AT DULOE - A district has been formed at Herodsfoot, including a portion of the parish of Lanreath, and a portion of the parish of Duloe. The Rev. R. SCOTT, the incumbent of Duloe, has actively exerted himself to procure the necessary funds, in which he had received aid from his neighbours as well as from persons at a distance, who sympathize with him in his efforts. The appeal was also responded to by both the Diocesan and General Church Building Societies, the former contributing £70, and the latter £80, towards the church.
A suitable site having been procured close by the village of Herodsfoot, and the necessary arrangements having been made, it had been determined to lay the first stone some days since, but it was postponed until Tuesday last, on account of the sudden death of the late Mr. BULLER, of Morval, a benefactor to the building fund, and who had engaged to perform the ceremony of laying the foundation-stone. On Tuesday last, the ceremony was performed by his son, Mr. J. F. BULLER, of Morval. Divine service having been celebrated in the parish church of Duloe, the congregation proceeded to Herodsfoot, and on reaching the gate of the proposed church-yard, a procession was formed, and headed by a large number of clergymen, proceeded to the site of the new church, repeating the 132nd Psalm. Several hundred persons were congregated, and in the course of the service the stone, a large block of granite, was lowered, and Mr. J. F. Buller assisted in adjusting it to its bed. The service was conducted by the Rev. RICHARD BULLER, of Lanreath, and the Rev. ROBERT SCOTT, of Duloe. The church will be built by Mr. RUNDLE, of Tavistock, from a design by Mr. HAYWARD, of Exeter, in the early English style. The church, which is to be called "All Saints", will be fitted with sittings for one hundred and sixty, the whole of which are to be free; and there are to be school-rooms adjoining. The estimated cost of the edifice is £1,500, and an endowment is promised as soon as it is built.
- Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians had a chapel here.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings are: Baptisms 1851 - 1968, Marriages 1851 - 1968.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1850 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1850 to 1936 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The civil parish of Herodsfoot was in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin,
Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930s. Parishes within the district were: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Herodsfoot parish became part of the Liskeard
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief once it was
Population figures for Herodsfoot parish are generally enumerated with Lanreath.
- Population in 1851 - 116 persons
- Population in 1861 - 453 persons
- Population in 1871 - 499 persons
- Population in 1881 - 424 persons
- Population in 1891 - 346 persons
- Population in 1901 - 340 persons
- Population in 1911 - 246 persons
- Population in 1921 - 0 persons
- Population in 1931 - 201 persons
- Population in 1951 - 181 persons
- Population in 1961 - 0 persons
- Population in 1971 - 0 persons
- Population in 1981 - 445 persons (includes Lanreath)
- Population in 1991 - 505 persons (includes Lanreath)
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
- Population in 2011 - 0 persons
The parish comprised 1600 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 27th January 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.