GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Illogan

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Illogan (Cornish: Egloshal)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. In the early 19th century, it was bounded on the north by the sea, and St Agnes, on the east by St Agnes and Redruth, on the south by Wendron and Camborne, and on the west by Camborne and the sea. Named after an obscure Cornish saint, St Illogan parish stretches south from the north coast of Cornwall and is between the towns of Camborne and Redruth. The parish contains Portreath, originally called Basset's Cove, a quiet fishing village situated about a mile and a half to the north-west of Illogan Churchtown, and which was developed in the 18th and 19th centuries into a port with a railway connecting to the Pool and Hayle Foundry. Copper ore was exported to Swansea for smelting and coal and iron were imported for the mines in Cornwall.

Richard Trevithick, the celebrated Cornish Engineer who was the inventor of the Cornish Steam Engine, used both in mining and locomotive transport. He was born in Illogan on 13th April 1771 and, on 7th November 1797, he married Jane Harvey, the daughter of the owner of Harvey's Iron-Foundry at Hayle.

Out of this parish and St Agnes was formed the ecclesiastical district of Mount Hawke, which was gazetted on 4th July 1846.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Illogan was originally in the Redruth Registration District. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have now been abolished. It is now part of the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.

The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Illogan ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Information about the Illogan Area Mines is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 2895 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 4078 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 5170 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 6072 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 7750 persons in Illogan parish and 65 persons resident on shipping
  • Population in 1851 - 9218 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 9683 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 9747 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 8723 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 9312 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 8883 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 8885 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 8331 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 8008 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 8412 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 8153 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 10304 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 4690 persons in Illogan parish and 3685 persons in Illogan and Park Bottom villages
  • Population in 1991 - 5365 persons in Illogan parish and 4125 persons in Illogan and Park Bottom villages
  • Population in 2001 - 5585 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 5562 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 8493 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 11th March 2014 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.