GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Isles of Scilly

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The Isles of Scilly comprise some 55 islands and over 90 rocks lying in the Atlantic Ocean some 28 miles south-west from Land's End on the Cornish mainland. The name 'Scilly' comes from SULLY meaning the Sun Isles which describe its climate with an excellent sunshine record. The temperature is remarkably constant throughout the year with only a 9° variation between the average of the hottest and coldest months.

There are five inhabited islands: St Mary's, (Cornish: An Nor), St Martin's, (Cornish: Breghyek), St Agnes', (Cornish: Pennpras), Tresco (Cornish: Treskaw), and Bryher, and about 50 others which would be classed as islands as well as hundreds of rocks. One of these, the island of Samson was inhabited by one family in 1669; this had increased to six dwelling houses and 30 inhabitants in 1794. By 1829 there were 36 residents on Samson. In 1855, the last 10 residents were ordered to evacuate the island; the remains of their houses can still be seen.

The islands are comprised of granite, which has broken down to form a stony, sandy or gritty soil, as well as bright sandy beaches. In places the granite forms block cliffs and tors, rounded boulders or tilted slabs. The rocks around the islands became a graveyard for numerous shipping over the years, although many lighhouses were built towards the end of the 19th century, including the Bishop Rock which is the most westerly in the UK.

The islands were inhabited during the Bronze age, and this is marked by a number of standing stones and burial chambers. During the Roman occupation, trade was conducted on the islands as roman coins have been recovered. In later centuries, early christian hermits were attracted to the islands, as were pirates. It appears to have passed unnoticed in the Domesday survey of 1087. A Benedictine priory was founded on Tresco in the 12th century and Henry I granted the islands to Tavistock Abbey. By the 14th century the islands formed part of the Duchy of Cornwall, and Edward III gave them to the Black Prince who was made Duke of Cornwall. In the 16th century Queen Elizabeth I granted the lease of the islands to Francis Godophin. Godolphin built the eight-pointed Star Castle over the harbour of St Mary's, and Prince Charles (later Charles II) stayed there for a period during the English Civil War.

The 18th century saw a great deal of poverty on the islands but, despite there remoteness, John Wesley visited them during the course of his preaching. Shipbuilding became an important occupation on the islands and this extended into the 19th century. The Godolphins allowed their leases to lapse in the early 19th century and so the islands reverted to the Duchy of Cornwall. About this time, the islands began to export flowers with mixed success, although the trade continues to this day.

Originally Old Town on St Mary's was the chief centre of population for the Isles, but the centre shifted to Hugh Town in the middle of the 19th century.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

All the inhabited Isles of Scilly are in their own Registration District and have always been since 1st July 1837; however some links are maintained with the Penzance Registration District. The Superintendant Registrar of the Isles can be contacted by telephone. Tel.: (0)1720-422537. There was once a sub-district also in the Scillys but that has now been abolished.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Town Hall, St Mary's, Isles of Scilly, TR21 0LW. Tel: 01720 422537.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

The family trees of Some Scillonian families are available on the OPC's website.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

The Isles of Scilly parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

Some 2000 people were living in the Scilly Isles in 1995. Census population figures (by island) have been:

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Societies

There is a Isles of Scilly Family History Group available that is willing to help with Family History research. Initial contact, for anyone interested should be through the Isles of Scilly Museum's curator, Amanda Martin or Roger Banfield, Church Street, St. Mary's. Tel: 01720 422337. E-mail: roger@rwbanfield.freeserve.co.uk.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The Isles of Scilly comprise 3963 acres of land comprising:
  • St Mary's - 1554 acres
  • Tresco - 735 acres
  • St Martin's and White Island - 586 acres
  • St Agnes and the Gugh - 366 acres
  • Bryher and Gweal - 327 acres
  • Samson - 95 acres
  • Annet - 53 acres
  • St Helen's - 49 acres
  • Tešn - 40 acres
  • Great Ganilly - 33 acres
  • Other islands - 125 acres

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 4th March 2012 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.