Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Ladock

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Ladock

The parish of Ladock (Cornish: Egloslask) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Newlyn East and St Enoder, on the east by St Stephen-in-Brannel and Probus, on the south by Probus, and on the west by St Erme. The village of Ladock is named after patron saint of the parish church, St Ladoca, and although there are many legendary tales about her, nothing is definitely known. The parish is in the centre of Cornwall on the A390 (although, now in the 21st century, on the B3275) about five miles north-east of Truro, and until 1840 was on the old toll road from Truro to Bodmin. This parish is situated entirely on slate rocks. Most of the valleys have been streamed for tin; in 1802 the largest gold nugget found in Cornwall was discovered in the River Ladock and is now in Truro Museum.

Villages in the parish are: Bedock (or Bissick) and Hill Coos.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 409 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.The 1841 Census of Ladock (HO107/145), Enumeration Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Ladock (HO107/1909), Enumeration District 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ladock is listed in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre Library, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Ladock (RG9/1552), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Ladock is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Ladock (RG11/2306), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Ladock (RG12/1826) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Ladock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8951, and was dedicated in 1268 to St Ladocus or Ladoca. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade consists of six four-centred arches of St Stephen's porcelain stone, with pillars of like material. There is a south porch and a priest's door. The tower is built of granite ashlar, buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. There are three bells. The church was restored in 1863-64.
    There is a church at Tresillian in this parish which was opened in 1877; details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Bedock and a Bible Christian chapel at New Mills.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Ladock are: E001701, M001701, P001701/2. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for this parish is 1669 - 1876.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1662 - 1964, Burials 1678 - 1934, Marriages 1684 - 1970, Boyd's Marriage Index 1609 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1609 - 1670.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of baptisms 1685 to 1773, and baptism transcripts 1669 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1609 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Phillimore's marriages 1686 to 1812, Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of marriages 1685 to 1773, and parish transcripts 1754 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Phillimore's Marriages of Ladock 1686 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
  • Burials.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Burials 1685 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1682 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The parish of Ladock has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Ladock are available.
You can see pictures of Ladock which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Ladock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW890500 (Lat/Lon: 50.312026, -4.964985), Ladock which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Ladock (1756 - 1823) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Ladock parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1770 to 1826) and Settlement Papers (1787) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 542 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 651 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 806 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 761 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 857 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 811 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 742 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 935 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 937 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 982 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1041 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 977 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 928 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 930 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 908 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 819 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 830 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 970 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1349 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1522 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1576 persons

Societies

The St. Ladoca Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprises 5936 acres of land.