The parish of Ladock (Cornish: Egloslask) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is
bounded on the north by Newlyn East and St Enoder, on the east by St
Stephen-in-Brannel and Probus, on the south by Probus, and on the west by St
Erme. The village of Ladock is named after patron saint of the parish church,
St Ladoca, and although there are many legendary tales about her, nothing is
definitely known. The parish is in the centre of Cornwall on the A390 (although, now in the 21st century, on the B3275) about five miles north-east of Truro, and until 1840 was on the old toll road from
Truro to Bodmin. This parish is situated entirely on slate rocks. Most of the
valleys have been streamed for tin; in 1802 the largest gold nugget found in
Cornwall was discovered in the River Ladock and is now in Truro
Villages in the parish are: Bedock (or Bissick) and Hill
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 409 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841.The 1841 Census of Ladock (HO107/145), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Ladock (HO107/1909), Enumeration
District 2a and 2b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Ladock is listed in Volume
17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre Library, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library),
and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Ladock (RG9/1552), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Ladock is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Ladock (RG11/2306), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Ladock (RG12/1826) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8951, and was dedicated in 1268 to St Ladocus or
Ladoca. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The
arcade consists of six four-centred arches of St Stephen's porcelain stone,
with pillars of like material. There is a south porch and a priest's door.
The tower is built of granite ashlar, buttressed on the square, and finished
with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. There are three bells. The church was
restored in 1863-64.
There is a church at Tresillian in this parish which was opened in 1877; details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Bedock and
a Bible Christian chapel at New Mills.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Ladock are: E001701, M001701, P001701/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1669 - 1876.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1662 - 1964, Burials 1678 - 1934,
Marriages 1684 - 1970, Boyd's Marriage Index 1609 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1609 - 1670.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of baptisms 1685 to 1773, and baptism transcripts 1669 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Columb Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: St Columb, St Dennis, St Stephens, St Enoder, Roche, St Mawgan, Ladock, Newquay, St Wenn, St Eval, St Merryn and Perranzabuloe.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1609 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1686 to 1812, Bishop's Transcripts (BTs) of marriages 1685 to 1773, and parish transcripts 1754 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages
of Ladock 1686 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials 1685 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1682 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Ladock has been in the Truro
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Ladock are available.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Apprenticeship Indentures for Ladock (1756 - 1823) can be found in the Cornwall
- Ladock parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1770 to
1826) and Settlement Papers (1787) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 542 persons
- Population in 1811 - 651 persons
- Population in 1821 - 806 persons
- Population in 1831 - 761 persons
- Population in 1841 - 857 persons
- Population in 1851 - 811 persons
- Population in 1861 - 742 persons
- Population in 1871 - 935 persons
- Population in 1881 - 937 persons
- Population in 1891 - 982 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1041 persons
- Population in 1911 - 977 persons
- Population in 1921 - 928 persons
- Population in 1931 - 930 persons
- Population in 1951 - 908 persons
- Population in 1961 - 819 persons
- Population in 1971 - 830 persons
- Population in 1981 - 970 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1349 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1522 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1576 persons
The St. Ladoca Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.
The parish comprises 5936 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.