Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lamorran

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Lamorran

The parish of Lamorran (Cornish: Lannvorenn) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Probus, on the east by Cornelly and the River Fal, which separates it from Ruan Lanihorne, on the south by the River Fal, which separates it from Philleigh, and on the west by St Michael Penkivel and Merther. in 969 AD, this little parish was given to one of his Thegns by King Edgar. After the conquest it was held by the Halep family who lived at the Manor House adjacent to the church. The origin of the parish name of Lamorran is probably 'lann Moren' (Lan-moren), meaning the church site of St Moren (St. Marenna the Virgin).

This parish is situated in an attractive wooded valley south-east of St Michael Penkevil, and forms part of the estate of Tregothnan House, now the home of Lord Falmouth. Lamorran has the Manor house close to the church; other places are Trewonnal, Tregenna and Gare. Lamorran was transferred to St Michael Penkivel for civil purposes in 1934.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Lamorran (HO107/148) (Enumeration District 2), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1841 Census, which is available in CD format.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Lamorran (HO107/1909) (Enumeration Districts 4 and 5) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Lamorran is listed in Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of St Michael Penkivel and Lamorran (RG9/1552), (Enumeration District 7), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Lamorran (RG11/2306), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Lamorran, (RG12/1826), Enumeration District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lamorran area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Reference SW8741; it was dedicated to St Morenna Virgin on 2nd August 1261. The church is built of granite in the perpendicular style, and comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south transepts. The entrances are a south porch, a north transept door, and a west door. In the porch is a tablet inscribed This church was rebuilt by the Rt. Hon. George Henry, Earl of Falmouth, Anno Domini 1845. The church was improved again in 1853. There is a separate bell-house standing in the south-west corner of the Churchyard.
    The following description is taken from "A Parochial History of Cornwall" by Charles Henderson M.A.:

    "This little parish probably constituted the territory of a Celtic monastery, but was given in 969 by King Edgar to one of his Thegns. After the conquest it was held by an important family of Halep which resided at the Manor House adjacent to the Church. In 1261 the Church was dedicated, and has never since been enlarged. It is a small cruciform building and would be of great interest if restorations under the supervision of Lord Falmouth's Steward in 1845 and 1853 had not spoilt it. The tower, a low, detached building without any pronounced features, is probably of the 13th Century. The cataclewse font is either a mock Norman production of the 15th Century or genuine Norman Font subsequently re cut. Slight fragments of the true Norman doorway show this hypothesis to be the true one."

    In the Churchyard is a good Gothic Cross of Pentewan Stone. The 'foliated head', though broken and described as 'the best in Cornwall of its kind', was in existence in 1890.
    The parish is now part of the Lamorran with Merther, Tresillian and St. Michael Penkivel Team Ministry.
  • Non-Conformist. The arrangements in this parish for Non-Conformist is not yet clear.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Lamorran are: C023091/2/3, E023092, M023092. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1572 to 1871.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1612 - 1915, Burials 1574 - 1948, Marriages 1572 - 1893, Boyd's Marriage Index 1621 - 1636, BTs 1621 - 1636.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages.
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms. Baptisms in this parish (1612 to 1723, and 1729 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Banns. Banns in this parish (1761 to 1804) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1572 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Marriages in this parish (1572 to 1714, 1572 to 1812, 1727 to 1893, 1905 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Burials in this parish (1651 to 1687, (burials in woollen), 1775 to 1814, and 1725 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Some burials in Lamorran up to 1948 may be available from the OPC (see under "Genealogy - OPC assistance", below).

Civil Registration

The parish of Lamorran has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Lamorran which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Mailing List. British-genealogy.com operate a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in the Parish of Lamorran. To post a message to all the list members, send an email to: opc-con-Lamorran@british-genealogy.com.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Lamorran has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Lamorran to another place.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW879418 (Lat/Lon: 50.237984, -4.975814), Lamorran which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Lamorran parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1757 to 1837) and Settlement Papers (1809) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

The parish of Lamorran was transferred to St Michael Penkivel for civil purposes in 1934. Population figures after that date are with that parish.

  • Population in 1801 - 78 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 94 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 93 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 96 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 99 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 94 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 92 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 96 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 91 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 64 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 52 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 53 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 57 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 49 persons

Religion and Religious Life

  • In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

    The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lamorran are available on-line.
  • A list of Vicars and Curates from the 1400s is also available from the OPC (see under "Genealogy - OPC assistance", above).

Statistics

The parish comprises 1263 acres of land.

Taxation

The Hearth Tax entries for Lamorran (1660-1664) are available on-line.