The parish of Lamorran (Cornish: Lannvorenn) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It
is bounded on the north by Probus, on the east by Cornelly and the River Fal,
which separates it from Ruan Lanihorne, on the south by the River Fal, which
separates it from Philleigh, and on the west by St Michael Penkivel and
Merther. in 969 AD, this little parish was given to one of his Thegns by King
Edgar. After the conquest it was held by the Halep family who lived at the
Manor House adjacent to the church. The origin of the parish name of Lamorran
is probably 'lann Moren' (Lan-moren), meaning the church site of
St Moren (St. Marenna the Virgin).
This parish is situated in an
attractive wooded valley south-east of St Michael Penkevil, and forms part of
the estate of Tregothnan
House, now the home of Lord Falmouth. Lamorran has the Manor house close to
the church; other places are Trewonnal, Tregenna and Gare. Lamorran was
transferred to St Michael Penkivel for civil purposes in 1934.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Lamorran (HO107/148) (Enumeration
District 2), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1841 Census, which is available in CD format.
- The 1851 Census of Lamorran (HO107/1909) (Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Lamorran is listed in
Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of St Michael Penkivel and Lamorran (RG9/1552), (Enumeration
District 7), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lamorran (RG11/2306), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lamorran, (RG12/1826),
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Reference SW8741; it was dedicated to St
Morenna Virgin on 2nd August 1261. The church is built of granite in the perpendicular style, and comprises a chancel, nave, and
north and south transepts. The entrances are a south porch, a north transept
door, and a west door. In the porch is a tablet inscribed This church was
rebuilt by the Rt. Hon. George Henry, Earl of Falmouth, Anno Domini 1845. The church was improved again in 1853. There is a separate bell-house standing in the south-west corner of the
The following description is taken from "A Parochial
History of Cornwall" by Charles Henderson M.A.:
parish probably constituted the territory of a Celtic monastery, but was given
in 969 by King Edgar to one of his Thegns. After the conquest it was held by an
important family of Halep which resided at the Manor House adjacent to the
Church. In 1261 the Church was dedicated, and has never since been enlarged. It
is a small cruciform building and would be of great interest if restorations
under the supervision of Lord Falmouth's Steward in 1845 and 1853 had not
spoilt it. The tower, a low, detached building without any pronounced features,
is probably of the 13th Century. The cataclewse font is either a mock Norman
production of the 15th Century or genuine Norman Font subsequently re cut.
Slight fragments of the true Norman doorway show this hypothesis to be the true
In the Churchyard is a good Gothic Cross of Pentewan Stone.
The 'foliated head', though broken and described as 'the best in Cornwall of
its kind', was in existence in 1890.
The parish is now part of the Lamorran with Merther, Tresillian and St. Michael Penkivel Team Ministry.
- Non-Conformist. The arrangements in this parish for Non-Conformist is not yet clear.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lamorran are: C023091/2/3, E023092, M023092. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1572 to 1871.
- The Cornwall
Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1612 - 1915, Burials 1574 - 1948,
Marriages 1572 - 1893, Boyd's Marriage Index 1621 - 1636, BTs 1621 - 1636.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages.
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms. Baptisms in this parish (1612 to 1723, and 1729 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Banns. Banns in this parish (1761 to 1804) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1572 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Marriages in this parish (1572 to 1714, 1572 to 1812, 1727 to 1893, 1905 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Burials in this parish (1651 to 1687, (burials in woollen), 1775 to 1814, and 1725 to 1911) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Some burials in Lamorran up to 1948 may be available from the OPC (see under "Genealogy - OPC assistance", below).
The parish of Lamorran has been in the Truro
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Mailing List. British-genealogy.com operate a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in the Parish of Lamorran. To post a message to all the list members, send an email to: opc-con-Lamorran@british-genealogy.com.
- Lamorran parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1757 to
1837) and Settlement Papers (1809) are available in the Cornwall
The parish of Lamorran was transferred to St Michael Penkivel for civil
purposes in 1934. Population figures after that date are with that
- Population in 1801 - 78 persons
- Population in 1811 - 94 persons
- Population in 1821 - 93 persons
- Population in 1831 - 96 persons
- Population in 1841 - 99 persons
- Population in 1851 - 94 persons
- Population in 1861 - 92 persons
- Population in 1871 - 96 persons
- Population in 1881 - 91 persons
- Population in 1891 - 64 persons
- Population in 1901 - 52 persons
- Population in 1911 - 53 persons
- Population in 1921 - 57 persons
- Population in 1931 - 49 persons
- In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lamorran are available on-line.
- A list of Vicars and Curates from the 1400s is also available from the OPC (see under "Genealogy - OPC assistance", above).
The parish comprises 1263 acres of land.
The Hearth Tax
entries for Lamorran (1660-1664) are available on-line.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 4th March 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.