GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places


[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Landewednack (Cornish: Lanndewynnek) is the most southerly parish in Great Britain. It is situated at the extreme of the Lizard Peninsular, and is in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north by Ruan Minor and Grade, on the east by Grade and the sea, on the south wholly by the sea, and on the west by the sea and Mullion. The tiny isolated village of Landewednack is found on the eastern tip of the Lizard above Church Cove.

The southern extremity of this parish forms the famous promontory called the Lizard Point. This area has given rise to a very large number of shipwrecks over the centuries. A double Lighthouse now stands on the extreme point, and serves to distinguish this beacon from the single light at Scilly, and the three lights at Guernsey Point. Formerly fires of wood were kept up on this point to warn mariners off the shore, then for many years coal fires were used, and the flames kept bright with large bellows. Next, lamps fed with oil were resorted to - twenty seven in each tower. For some years past Seimens electric lights have shed there rays across the sea to a distance of 40 miles. A steam fog signal is also placed here, which was sometimes required to be kept in operation for a week.

Not far from the Lighthouse was the Lizard Signal Station, erected by Messrs. Fox of Falmouth for the purpose of signalling homeward and outward bound vessels. Off the coast are the dangerous low rocks called "The Stags." Kynance Cove is situated about a mile north-west of the Lizard Head; it is a beautiful beach marked by a group of towering rocks. In 1846, Prince Albert, the husband of Quenn Victoria, and the royal children visited this place.

The villages are the small Churchtown and Lizard Town; the former is now but a suburb of the latter.


Return to top of page


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Landewednack was originally in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.

The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Landewednack ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Apprenticeship Indentures for Landewednack (Register 1814 - 1822) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Landewednack parish was part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1677 to 1848) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page


  • Population in 1801 - 244 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 303 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 387 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 406 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 431 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 430 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 429 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 460 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 585 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 626 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 683 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 595 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 649 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 619 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 728 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 703 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 727 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 810 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 864 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 886 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 967 persons

Return to top of page


The parish comprises 2044 acres of land and 6 acres of water

Return to top of page

Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 27th March 2012 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI ( website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.