Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Landrake

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Landrake

The parish of Landrake (Cornish: Lannergh) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Quethiock, and the detached portion of St Stephen-by-Saltash called Howton, on the east by Botus Fleming and St Stephens-by-Saltash, on the south by the estuary of the River Lynher and the parish of St Erney, and on the west by St Germans and Quethiock. It has always been closely associated with that of St Erney. The name of the parish comes from lannergh, 'a clearing'.
Landrake village and parish is north-west of Saltash on the River Lynher; it is larger than most Churchtowns and had three fairs held annually. The church tower creates a landmark for miles around. A very small portion of the village of Tideford was once in this parish.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/135), Enumeration District 10, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Landrake with St Erney (HO107/1900), Enumeration Districts 1 & 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Landrake is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Landrake (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Landrake (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Landrake with St Erney (RG12/1808), Enumeration Districts 2 and 3 is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Landrake area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX3760; it is dedicated to St Peter. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept. The arcade consists of four four-centred arches of free stone. The north porch is very shallow; it is buttressed and finished with crocketed pinnacles. There is also a south porch and a priest's door. The tower is about a hundred feet in height from the foundation; it is of three stages. It is buttressed on the square, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles, and contains a clock.

    St Erney has been consolidated with this parish in all parochial matters.
  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Bible Christians both had chapels in the Churchtown.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Landrake are: C052841, E052841, M052841. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1583 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1585 - 1981, Burials 1587 - 1987, Marriages 1583 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1583 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in this parish 1565 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1650 to 1840 for the parish of Landrake & St Erney and this can be purchased on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns in this parish 1824 to 1807 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore's marriages in this parish 1583 to 1807, and parish transcripts 1813 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1583 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials in this parish 1678 to 1807 (in woollen), and parish burials 1585 to 1936 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Landrake is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Landrake are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Landrake which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Landrake has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX374605 (Lat/Lon: 50.421726, -4.290381), Landrake which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Landrake parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

The population figures for Landrake parish invariably included St Erney. From 1991 the parish was enumerated as part of Landrake with St Erney, Botusfleming & Landulph Parishes.

  • Population in 1801 - 613 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 768 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 841 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 872 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 812 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 744 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 793 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 759 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 759 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 686 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 632 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1049 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 610 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 616 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 715 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 611 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 644 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 800 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1070 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1001 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1082 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3595 acres of land, 15 acres of water, 28 acres of tidal water and 135 acres of foreshore.