Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Landulph

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Landulph

The parish of Landulph (Cornish: Lanndhelek) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north, east and south by the River Tamar which separates it from the parishes of Bere Ferrers and Tamerton Foliot in Devon, and from the parish of St Stephen-by-Saltash, and on the west by Botus Fleming and Pillaton.

Landulph is a parish and village on the Devon border a few miles north of Plymouth. The origin of name come from 'church site of Dylph', one of the original saints to whom the church is dedicated.

The village of Cargreen, the only village in the parish, is pleasantly situated on the banks of the Tamar.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 776 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Landulph (HO107/135), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241259.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Landulph (HO107/1900), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Landulph is listed in Volume 9. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Landulph (RG9/1525), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Landulph (RG10/2231), Enumeration District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Landulph (RG11/2282), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Landulph (RG12/1808), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Landulph area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4361; it is dedicated to St Leonard and St Dilph (Dilic). The Anglo-Saxons came to Cornwall around the 9th century A.D. and probably built a new church on the Celtic site although no evidence of this building remains. In 1086 the Normans carried out the Domesday survey and Landulph is listed as the manor of Landelech. The Normans built a new church which probably consisted of a west tower, nave and chancel, but only a very little of this building is recognisable within the present structure. Landulph became an important embarkation port for hundreds of pilgrims between 1428 & 1456. With the development of the port and the influx of pilgrims came the need for a bigger church, and so the church was rebuilt around 1420 in the decorated style with a top stage added to the tower and North and South aisles added.
    The present church comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, and a vestry. The arcades have each five semi-pointed arches, springing from monolith, octagonal pillars, with bases and capitals also octagonal; the material is Roberough free-stone and granite. There is a south porch, a walled-up north door, and a vestry door. The tower is of three stages, is buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and stump pinnacles. It is about 70 feet high. By the late nineteenth century the church was in desperate need of restoration, and a restoration appeal was launched in May 1900, by the Rev. Sylvanus Gregory to raise £2058. The major restoration works were completed by 1902, and many further smaller improvements were made during the early twentieth century, which included the reconstruction of a rood screen and associated figures.

    In 1987 Landulph became part of the United Benefice of St. Dominick, Landulph, St. Mellion and Pillaton with the rector based at the St. Mellion Rectory.
  • Non-Conformist. There were chapels belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists, Bible Christians, and the Baptists in the parish.

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of Landulph is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • There is a website for Landulph parish council available.
You can see pictures of Landulph which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

  • The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • The OPC has developed a genealogical website on Landulph parish to assist those researching in the parish.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Landulph ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Landulph has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Transcription Of An Auctioneer's Catalogue For Various Properties On Landulph And St Dominic Offered For Sale In 1831.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX431614 (Lat/Lon: 50.431366, -4.210580), Landulph which are provided by:

Names, Personal

A list of surnames in Landulph being researched by others, and researchers' contact points, is available.

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Landulph (1698 - 1822) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Landulph parish was part of the St Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1725 to 1770 and 1777 to 1806), Settlement Papers (1711 to 1818), and Bastardy Bonds (1701 to 1802), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 529 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 590 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 579 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 570 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 550 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 524 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 547 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 513 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 505 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 441 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 484 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 478 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 447 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 390 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 389 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 388 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 369 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 420 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 450 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 485 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 527 persons

Probate Records

Information about Wills of Landulph inhabitants is available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1641/2 for Landulph are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Statistics

The parish comprises 2115 acres of land, one acre of water, 217 acres tidal water and 293 acres of foreshore.

Voting Registers

Voter Lists for Landulph are available on-line, courtesy of the OPC, as follows: