We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Lanhydrock

Lanhydrock (Cornish: Lannhydrek) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Bodmin, on the east by St Winnow and Cardinham, on the south by Lanlivery, and on the west by Lanivet. The name means Church site of St Hydrock. Lanhydrock is in the centre of Cornwall south of Bodmin parish. The parish is probably the manor referred to in the Domesday Survey of 1086 as Lanredrock.


Lanhydrock House, which dominates the parish, was originally built by the Robartes family (the Earls of Radnor) in the 17th century. In 1881 this house was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt shortly afterwards using local stone and timber. It is now owned by the National Trust, has most impressive gardens, and it attracts thousands of visitors every year.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 251 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lanhydrock area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0863; it is dedicated to St Hydock whose Feast Day is 5th May. It comprises a chacel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades, each comprise four four-centred arches, are supported on monolith granite pillars. There is a south porch. The tower, which is of three stages, is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains one bell. The church was once connected with the religious establishments located in Bodmin.
    The parish is now part of the Bodmin Team Ministry which has an on-line website.
  • Non-Conformist.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Lanhydrock are: P002161, M002161. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1559 to 1812.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1561 - 1913, Burials 1558 - 1805, Marriages 1559 - 1837, Boyds Marriage Index 1559 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
  • Baptisms. Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1870 to 1900) of the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit, including Fletchers Bridge Chapel (1896 - 1900). Areas include: Bodmin, Lanhydrock, Lanlivery, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Cardinham, St Mabyn, Withiel, Egloshayle, Lostwithiel, Helland, St Winnow and St Breock.
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore marriages in this parish 1559 to 1812 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1559 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Lanhydrock is in the Bodmin Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Lanhydrock are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Lanhydrock which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Lanhydrock has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX080630 (Lat/Lon: 50.435306, -4.705087), Lanhydrock which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanhydrock (1806, 1822 Register) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Lanhydrock parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1811 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 187 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 235 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 251 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 239 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 263 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 231 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 197 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 194 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 186 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 192 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 200 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 256 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 213 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 190 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 169 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 157 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 170 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 155 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 170 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 171 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 186 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 1713 acres of land.