Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Lanlivery

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


Lanlivery (Cornish: Lannlivri) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Lanivet and Lanhydrock, on the east by St Winnow from which it is separated by the river Fowey, on the south by St Sampson (Golant), Tywardreath and Luxulyan, and on the west by Luxulyan. The parish name means 'Church site (lann) of unknown name'.

This rather bleak moorland parish is situated above a tributary of the Fowey River, west of Lostwithiel. This was also on the 'Saints Way' from Ireland to France. Although a large parish the population is a quarter of what it was in 1841. It is situated approximately in the centre of Cornwall, the modern parish of Lanlivery encompasses an area of around 5 - 6,000 acres but, being mainly agricultural, its resident population on the electoral roll has shrunk considerably. Sloping gently south from 650 feet inland to around sea level at its most southerly boundary, the parish straddles the old prehistoric trans-peninsula trade route and its modern counterpart the A390, one of the two main trunk roads into the county.

Villages in the parish are: the Churchtown, Redmoor, Sweets House, Milltown and Tangier (the latter is now a suburb of Lostwithiel town).

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 525 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lanlivery area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0759 was said to have been dedicated to Saints Manaccus and Dunstan; it is now dedicated to St Bryvyth (Brevita). The present church was built in the 14th century and consists of a nave, an aisle and north and west transepts, the latter being the tower housing the peal of eight bells, the heaviest of which is the tenor bell at just under eighteen hundredweight. The tower, at 97 feet in height, is considered the third highest church tower in Cornwall. Visible from well out at sea in the St. Austell Bay area, it is believed, at one period in its history, to have been used as a Landmark by ships plying the coastal waters. There is a south porch, a transept door and, in the north wall, a blocked priest's door. The arcades have each six four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars.
    The restoration completed in 1993 was a major event in the history of the Parish Church. Its roof, the main cause for concern, has been completely renovated. Rotting timber roof trusses were replaced by modern replicas, roof slates were removed and renewed and lead valleys replaced. The exterior pointing of the tower was removed and redone. The interior walls were taken back to the granite and re-rendered During this process a small alcove was discovered in the north wall. It was empty with no indication as to its original purpose. It may have concealed a casket of revered remains in medieval times or possibly documentation connected with the original building of the church, and possibly later removed before replastering. A time capsule recording the restoration and contemporary documentation was placed in the cavity for the information of parishioners in the distant future.
  • Non-Conformists. There were Reform Methodist chapels at Redmoor and Ebeneezer, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Sweet's House.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms c1600 - 1945, Burials c1600 - 1850, Marriages c1600 - 1951, Boyd's Marriage Index 1600 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in this parish 1644 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1840 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest..
  • Banns. Banns in this parish 1654 to 1657, 1811 to 1823, and 1906 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials in this parish 1644 to 1936 (including burials in woollen 1704 to 1758) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Lanlivery was originally in the Bodmin Registration District from 1st July 1837 until 1894; there were originally sub-districts at Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now all been abolished. From 1894 to 1931, there were several boundary and organisational changes when it became part of Lostwithiel parish. In 1931, along with Luxulyan and Lostwithiel, it became part of the St Austell Registration District. Parishes within the Bodmin district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Lanlivery are available.
You can see pictures of Lanlivery which are provided by:


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanivet ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Lanlivery has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX070590 (Lat/Lon: 50.399045, -4.717094), Lanlivery which are provided by:


Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanlivery (1704 - 1835) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Lanlivery parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1683 to 1745 and 1748 to 1776), Settlement Papers (1687 to 1851) and Bastardy Bonds (1721 to 1832) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.


  • Population in 1801 - 778 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 965 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1318 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1687 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1809 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1716 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1657 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1493 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1388 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 706 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 673 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 607 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 558 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 497 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 437 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 373 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 350 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 385 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 432 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 492 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 555 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lanlivery are available on-line.


The parish comprises 5014 acres of land.