Lanlivery (Cornish: Lannlivri) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on
the north by Lanivet and Lanhydrock, on the east by St Winnow from which it is
separated by the river Fowey, on the south by St Sampson (Golant), Tywardreath
and Luxulyan, and on the west by Luxulyan. The parish name means 'Church
site (lann) of unknown name'.
This rather bleak moorland
parish is situated above a tributary of the Fowey River, west of Lostwithiel.
This was also on the 'Saints Way' from Ireland to France. Although a
large parish the population is a quarter of what it was in 1841. It is situated
approximately in the centre of Cornwall, the modern parish of Lanlivery
encompasses an area of around 5 - 6,000 acres but, being mainly agricultural,
its resident population on the electoral roll has shrunk considerably. Sloping
gently south from 650 feet inland to around sea level at its most southerly
boundary, the parish straddles the old prehistoric trans-peninsula trade route
and its modern counterpart the A390, one of the two main trunk roads into the
Villages in the parish are: the Churchtown, Redmoor, Sweets
House, Milltown and Tangier (the latter is now a suburb of Lostwithiel
The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 525 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lanlivery (HO107/145) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Lanlivery (HO107/1904) (Enumeration
Districts 3a to 3d), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lanlivery is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. 1871. The 1871 Census of Lanlivery is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lanlivery (RG11/2289), Enumeration Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lanlivery (RG12/1814) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX0759 was said to have been dedicated
to Saints Manaccus and Dunstan; it is now dedicated to St Bryvyth (Brevita).
The present church was built in the 14th century and consists of a nave, an
aisle and north and west transepts, the latter being the tower housing the peal
of eight bells, the heaviest of which is the tenor bell at just under eighteen
hundredweight. The tower, at 97 feet in height, is considered the third highest
church tower in Cornwall. Visible from well out at sea in the St. Austell Bay
area, it is believed, at one period in its history, to have been used as a
Landmark by ships plying the coastal waters. There is a south porch, a transept
door and, in the north wall, a blocked priest's door. The arcades have each six
four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars.
restoration completed in 1993 was a major event in the history of the Parish
Church. Its roof, the main cause for concern, has been completely renovated.
Rotting timber roof trusses were replaced by modern replicas, roof slates were
removed and renewed and lead valleys replaced. The exterior pointing of the
tower was removed and redone. The interior walls were taken back to the granite
and re-rendered During this process a small alcove was discovered in the north
wall. It was empty with no indication as to its original purpose. It may have
concealed a casket of revered remains in medieval times or possibly
documentation connected with the original building of the church, and possibly
later removed before replastering. A time capsule recording the restoration and
contemporary documentation was placed in the cavity for the information of
parishioners in the distant future.
- Non-Conformists. There were Reform Methodist chapels
at Redmoor and Ebeneezer, and a Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Sweet's House.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms c1600 - 1945, Burials c1600 - 1850,
Marriages c1600 - 1951, Boyd's Marriage Index 1600 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms in this parish 1644 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy has published on CD baptisms (1872 to 1900) of the Bodmin Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: Bodmin, Lanivet, Roche, Lanlivery, Luxulyan, Withiel, and Egloshayle.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1837 to 1900) of the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit, including Fletchers Bridge Chapel (1896 - 1900). Areas include: Bodmin, Lanlivery, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Cardinham, St Mabyn, Withiel, Egloshayle and St Breock.
- Banns. Banns in this parish 1654 to 1657, 1811 to 1823, and 1906 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials in this parish 1644 to 1936 (including burials in woollen 1704 to 1758) are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of Lanlivery was orioginally in the Bodmin Registration District and has been
since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery
and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. It is now in the St
Austell Registration District. Parishes within the Bodmin district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Lanlivery are available.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanivet ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanlivery (1704 - 1835) can be found in the Cornwall
Lanlivery parish was part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts
(1683 to 1745 and 1748 to 1776), Settlement Papers (1687 to 1851) and Bastardy
Bonds (1721 to 1832) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 778 persons
- Population in 1811 - 965 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1318 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1687 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1809 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1716 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1657 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1493 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1388 persons
- Population in 1891 - 706 persons
- Population in 1901 - 673 persons
- Population in 1911 - 607 persons
- Population in 1921 - 558 persons
- Population in 1931 - 497 persons
- Population in 1951 - 437 persons
- Population in 1961 - 373 persons
- Population in 1971 - 350 persons
- Population in 1981 - 385 persons
- Population in 1991 - 432 persons
- Population in 2001 - 492 persons
- Population in 2011 - 555 persons
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lanlivery are available on-line.
The parish comprises 5014 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.