The name 'Lanner' originates from Lannergh, meaning 'a clearing' in the Cornish language; it has also been
well-known as 'Lannarth'. The parish sprawls up the long
slopes of a wide valley and is shielded by hills. It is a former tin and copper
mining parish south-east of Redruth on the main road to Penryn which had grown
rapidly in the 19th century; at the beginning of that century it only had 6
cottages. In the 13th century the Bishop of Exeter enclosed some woodland here
to create a deer park. There is a disused quarry at Carn Marth.
most residents work in nearby towns, and local disused industrial sites have
been tranformed into local assets such as walkways and playing fields.
Lanner was created as an ecclesiastical parish from part of the civil parish of
Gwennap in 1844. Tresavean is a village in Lanner parish.
- Monumental inscriptions of Lanner have not yet been recorded.
Memorial inscriptions for Lanner parish (1914-1918 and 1939-1945 Wars) are
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841 Lanner (Lannarth) was enumerated as part of Gwennap.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Lannarth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lannarth is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lanner is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lanner (RG11/2329) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lanner (RG12/1845) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The ecclesiastical district of Lanarth (Lanner) was gazetted in 1844. The
parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7139; it is dedicated as: Christ Church. The church was erected in 1845, and is uglier, though less obtrusive, than that of St Day. It is a small stuccoed building consisting of a chancel, nave, south aisle, vestry, north porch and a turret containing one bell. It was consecrated
on St Swithin's Day 1845, and was restored in 1883. The registers date from
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. [Pictures are provided courtesy of the OPC].
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1845 - 1975, Burials 1846 - 1952,
Marriages 1845 - 1966.
- Baptisms in this parish 1869 to 1904 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1837 to 1862) of the Falmouth Bible Christian Circuit. The area covers Falmouth, Camborne, Lanner, Penryn, Gwennap, St Agnes, and Kenwyn.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1843 to 1900) of the Falmouth, Redruth & Camborne Bible Christian Circuit. The area covers Falmouth, Redruth, Camborne, Lanner, St Agnes, and Kenwyn.
- Marriages. Marriages in this parish 1845 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Lanner is in the Registration
District of Camborne and has been continuously from its creation. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Lanner are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Lanner parish became part of the Redruth
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Lanner was created from part of Gwennap
parish in 1845. Population figures before this date are with that
parish. Latterly, Lanner has been enumerated with St Day.
- Population in 1851 - 2710 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2615 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2348 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1813 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2055 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1801 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1895 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1756 persons
- Population in 1931 - 3785 persons
- Population in 1951 - 3758 persons
- Population in 1961 - 3517 persons
- Population in 1971 - 4364 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2090 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2145 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2493 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2690 persons
The parish comprises 1460 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.