GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Lanteglos-by-Camelford

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Lanteglos-by-Camelford parish, (Cornish: Nanseglos), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor and in the Hundred of Lesnewth. Camelford is named after the ford across the River Camel on which the town lies. It is bounded on the north by Minster, on the east by Davidstow and Advent, on the south by Michaelstow and on the west by St Teath. Lanteglos means a valley church (in Cornish).
The town of Camelford is wholly situated in the parish of Lanteglos along the A39 road which traverses the parish. Camelford was made a free borough by Richard, Earl of Cornwall. This was confirmed by Richard II on 20th April 1298. In 1300 there were 62 burgesses. The borough continued to send representatives to Parliament as early as 1552 and continued to do so until the Reform Act of 1832 abolished this.
The River Camel, from which it takes its name, passes through the town. Although originally 'a ford across the River Camel', there has been a bridge at Camelford since the fourteenth century. This is in an area of north-east Cornwall with moorland streams, woodland and narrow valleys. Many believe Camelford is the site of Camelot, for a mile away is Slaughter Bridge - supposidly the scene of King Arthur's death in his last great battle when Arthur killed Mordred. A stone marks the place where Arthur reputedly later fell and lay for three days before being taken away on a barge.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Lanteglos-by-Camelford is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanteglos-by-Camelford ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

The population variations during the period 1901 to 1971 (apart from 1931) were probably due to boundary changes. The reasons for these are not known but are being investigated.

  • Population in 1801 - 912 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1100 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1256 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1359 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1541 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1740 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1620 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1718 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1524 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1375 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 7188 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 7385 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 7730 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1298 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 7587 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 7091 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 7363 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1770 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1970 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2256 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 865 persons

Return to top of page

Societies

The Camelford & District Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

In 1869, the borough of Camelford occupied some 245 acres of the parish, the total size of which is 3537 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.