We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Lanteglos by Fowey

The parish of Lanteglos-by-Fowey, (Cornish: Sen Wyllow), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by St Veep and Lansallos, on the east by Lansallos, on the south by the sea, and on the west by Fowey Harbour, which separates it from the town of Fowey and the parishes of Fowey and Golant, St Sampson. The parish is on the south coast of Cornwall sandwiched between the parishes of Fowey and Lansallos. The attractive village of Polruan with its steep huddled streets is situated opposite Fowey on the eastern side of the Fowey estuary. In the past castles here and in Fowey helped protect the seaport by suspending an iron chain across the estuary. Now a ferry service operates for foot passengers.

The fishing town of Polruan is a place of great antiquity; it is older than Fowey and once was the principal station of the harbour. The only other village is Highway (or Trevick).

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Monumental Inscriptions for this parish have not yet been recorded.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

  • St Willow, Lanteglos-by-Fowey, Church of England

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Lanteglos By Fowey area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. There are two Anglican churches in the parish:
    • Parish Page. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1451, and is dedicated to St Willow. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The east end of the south aisle appears to have been the burial place pof the Mohun family of Hall. The arcades each comprise five obtuse chamfered arches, supported on octagonal monlith pillars of Pentewan stone. There is a south porch, a north door, and at the east end a priest's door. The tower is of four stages, about 70 feet in height, and stands on four piers. It is finished with battlements only; the belfry contains six bells.
    • Polruan. The church of St. Saviour, is a chapel-of-ease to the parish church of Lanteglos; it was erected in 1891 at a cost of £1,450 and is a building of limestone, with dressings of Bath stone, from designs by Mr W Smith, architect of Truro. It consists of quasi-chancel, nave and south aisle, and has 350 sittings.

    In the early 21st century, Lansallos parish came together with Lanteglos parish to form the united ecclesiastical parish of Lanteglos-by-Fowey with Lansallos.

  • Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and the United Methodist Free Church each had chapels in Polruan. Another Wesleyan chapel was at Highway.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Lanteglos-by-Fowey are: C023211/2. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish 1674 - 1773.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1661 - 1944, Burials 1678 - 1936, Marriages 1678 - 1967, Boyd's Marriage Index 1607 - 1673, BTs 1607 - 1673.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
    • 1813-37 Marriages.
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in this parish 1661 to 1807, and 1813 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Polruan Wesleyan-Methodist chapel baptisms 1883 to 1901, Fore Street, Polruan United Methodists and UM Free churches baptisms 1883 to 1911, and West Street, Polruan, Wesleyan chapel baptisms 1908 to 1910, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1716 to 1841 for this parish.
  • Banns. Banns in this parish 1754 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
  • Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.

Civil Registration

The parish of Lanteglos-by-Fowey has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Pictures of Lanteglos-by-Fowey are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Lanteglos By Fowey which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lanteglos-by-Fowey ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Lanteglos By Fowey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX140530 (Lat/Lon: 50.347399, -4.615740), Lanteglos By Fowey which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Lanteglos-by-Fowey (1726 - 1837) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Lanteglos-by-Fowey parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Settlement Papers (1735 to 1833) and Bastardy Bonds (1708 to 1816) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 678 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 859 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 973 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1208 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1269 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1280 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1221 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1324 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1339 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1432 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1399 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1369 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1381 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1368 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1234 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1098 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1121 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1050 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1055 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 994 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3249 acres of land, 137 acres of tidal water and 180 acres of foreshore.