The parish of Lawhitton, (Cornish: Nansgwydhenn), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It
is bounded on the north by St Stephens-by-Launceston and Lifton in Devon, on
the east by Lifton and Bradstone in Devon from which it is separated by the
River Tamar, on the south by Lezant, and on the west by South Petherwin and
Launceston (St Mary Magdalene). The Celtic name is Landwithan or
Languiton. This small, thinly populated, scenic parish is off the beaten
track immediately south-east of Launceston. In medieval times there was a
flourishing market in the village, but the nearness of Launceston has tended to
kill off any trade in the village. The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Book
of 1086 as Languitetone.
The chief villages of the parish are the
Churchtown, Carzantick, and Lewcombe.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church for:
- Parish Church - 530 entries
- Tregada Methodist Chapel - 125 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Lawhitton (HO107/134), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1841 Census, which is available in CD format.
- It has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
- The 1851 Census of Lawhitton (HO107/1899), Enumeration
District 3, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1851 Census, which is available in CD format.
- The 1861 Census of Lawhitton (RG9/1520), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1861 Census, which is available in CD format.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lawhitton, Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lawhitton, Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1891 Census of Lawhitton (RG12/1804), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census project.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1891 Census, which is available in CD format.
- 1901. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish 1901 Census, which is available in CD format.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX3582; it is dedicated to St Michael.
There has been a church at Lawhitton since the 9th century. King Egbert gave
the parish to the Saxon bishop of Sherborne in 830. In 905 it was transferred
to Eadulph, the bishop of Crediton.
The present church building is dated
to the 13th century. It comprises a chancel, nave and south aisle. The arcade consists
of five arches supported on tall, monolith granite pillars. There is a south
porch and a priest's door. The tower is situated on the south side of the
church; it consists of three stages, and is finished with battlements and stump
pinnacles. The belfry contains six bells. There was a major restoration of the
church which took place under the Rev. F Du Boulay in 1871. This work included
a new east window, an oak chancel screen, new pavements in the nave and the
chancel and new seats where the old ones were too decayed for re-use.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel at Carzanteck.
- LDS Church Records. This parish is NOT included in the LDS Church's
International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- Registers commenced in 1640. The Cornwall
Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1640 - 1947, Burials 1640 - 1952,
Marriages 1640 - 1982, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1675, BTs 1608 - 1675.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1640 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1722 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These comprise baptisms (1837-1900). The areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
- Burials 1640 to 1901 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These comprise burials (1818-1880), St Thomas Wesleyan Burials 1842- 1892). The areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
The parish of Lawhitton is in the Launceston
Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St
Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lawhitton ecclesiastical parish:
The Manorial Documents Register (MDR) does not note any surviving records
for the manors of Hexworthy and Sheers Barton.
The MDR contains the following information concerning records for Lawhitton
- 1. Fines 1396/97 (ref: SC 11/151) in the Public Record Office, Ruskin
Avenue, Kew, Richmond TW9 4DU (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org);
- 2. Presentments 1749-1857, terrier 1746, surveys c1849-59, court rolls
1855-90 (ref: Church Commissioners), book of maps, no date (ref:
382/add/P40) in Devon Record Office, Castle Street, Exeter EX4 3PU (Email:
- 3. Book of maps and map of episcopal estates nd in Devon Record Office
Further enquiries about these records should be addressed to the staff at the
Apprenticeship Indentures for Lawhitton (1818) can be found in the Cornwall
- Lawhitton parish was part of the Launceston
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1728 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1729) and Bastardy bonds (1778, 1822), are
available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 289 persons
- Population in 1811 - 368 persons
- Population in 1821 - 435 persons
- Population in 1831 - 485 persons
- Population in 1841 - 487 persons
- Population in 1851 - 503 persons
- Population in 1861 - 435 persons
- Population in 1871 - 473 persons
- Population in 1881 - 425 persons
- Population in 1891 - 361 persons
- Population in 1901 - 238 persons
- Population in 1911 - 256 persons
- Population in 1921 - 227 persons
- Population in 1931 - 220 persons
- Population in 1951 - 217 persons
- Population in 1961 - 215 persons
- Population in 1971 - 238 persons
- Population in 1981 - 260 persons
- Population in 1991 - 266 persons
- Population in 2001 - 270 persons (Lawhitton Rural)
- Population in 2011 - 232 persons (Lawhitton Rural)
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Lawhitton are available on-line.
The parish comprises 2339 acres of land.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.