GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Uny Lelant

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Lelant, (Cornish: Lannanta), Uny-Lelant, Lelant-Euny, or Lanant, is situated in the Deanery of Penwith, and in the eastern division of the Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north by St Ives and St Ives Bay, on the east by the estuary of the River Hayle and St Erth, on the south by Ludgvan and on the west by Towednack.

Lelant is not mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. In the twelfth century the area was named Lanata, meaning 'Church site of Anta'. All that is known about this saint is that she had a chapel on the rocks at the entrance to Hayle River. Lelant is an attractive village on the west bank of the Hayle estuary about 3 miles from St Ives. One of the oldest houses in the village is The Abbey, which was owned by the monks on St Michael's Mount. It was used as a rest house by the monks.

"LELANT (UNY), a parish in the hundred of PENWITH county of CORNWALL, 3 miles (S.E.) from St. Ives, containing 1271 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, with the perpetual curacy of St. Ives, in the archdeaconry of Cornwall, and diocese of Exeter, rated in the king's books at £22. 11s. 10½d., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The church, dedicated to St. Ewny, is surrounded by banks of sand. There are two places of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The parish is bounded on the north by St. Ives Bay, and on the east by Hayle harbour and the river of that name, which is crossed by a bridge. A considerable quantity of granite is raised here, and there are several tin mines in the neighbourhood, the principal of which are Wheal Reath and Wheal Speed. A fair for cattle is held on August 15th." [Lewis 1831].

It is often referred to as Uny Lelant after its patron saint. Its main villages are: Lelant, Tredreath, Trencrobben, and Trink.

The modern ecclesiastical parish of Carbis Bay was created from Lelant in 1913.

Cemeteries

Information about the various burial grounds in Lelant is available by courtesy of Maxwell Adams.

Return to top of page

Census

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Uny-Lelant has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished.. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just-in-Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

There are listings of various place names in Lelant as found on censuses, maps, and other documents. These include the names of settlements, roads, and fields.

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Law & Legislation

Information on the application of law & order in Lelant parish is available. This includes many names of parishioners who had transgressed, and how they were punished.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Officials & Employees

Lelant parish officials 1770-1802 included churchwardens and overseers of the poor. Details of these are listed on-line.

Return to top of page

Politics & Government

Information on the civil administration of Lelant is available on-line.
For nearly forty years, from December 1894 to the Spring of 1934, Lelant had its own parish council. This covered a much larger area than the present village, stretching into Carbis Bay and into the countryside. Information on this is available on-line courtesy of Maxwell Adams.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

The 1377 poll tax recorded the number of Lelant people assessed for tax was 239. The approximate population of Lelant parish in 1377 (as estimated by MacLean from the poll tax figures) was: 359.

  • Population in 1801 - 1083 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1180 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1271 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1602 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2012 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2290 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2320 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2178 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1720 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1439 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1391 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1351 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1667 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1733 persons
  • From 1924 the population was incorporated into, and mainly counted as part of, Carbis Bay, Ludgvan and St Ives. In 1981 and 1991, Lelant Village was separately enumerated again.
  • Population in 1981 - 725 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 925 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 3482 persons (Lelant (761 persons) and Carbis Bay)
  • In 2011 the population was enumerated under St Ives.

Return to top of page

Postal & Shipping Guides

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Public Records

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

The Vicars of Lelant, with the date of their appointment to the post, are available on-line courtesy of Maxwell Adams.

Return to top of page

Schools

Return to yop of page

Societies

The Penwith Local History Group aims:

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 3524 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Taxation

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 2nd April 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.