Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Lesnewth, (Cornish: Lysnowydh), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor, and in the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by St Juliot, on the east by St Juliot and Davidstow, on the south by Davidstow, and on the west by Minster. This small thinly populated parish is about six miles east of Tintagel Head. The manor of Lesnewth is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Lesnewth is a small hamlet with few houses, farms and has a church. It is surrounded by farmland and so very peaceful.
Besides the Churchtown, other places include Penpol.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Lesnewth (HO107/140), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Lesnewth (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Lesnewth is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Lesnewth (RG9/1515), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Lesnewth (RG10/2218), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Lesnewth (RG11/2272), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Lesnewth (RG12/1799), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1390 and is now dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. It has been previously dedicated to St Knet. Having become considerably dilapidated, it was taken down and rebuilt in 1866; the characteristic features of the old church - Norman, Early English, and Perpendicular, being carefully preserved. The old church had consisted of a chancel, nave, and north and south transepts. The new church has a chancel, nave, and vestry only. The vestry is separated from the church by a Norman arcade supported on two massive circular piers. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. The belfry consists of five bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Treworrell.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Lesnewth are: C026381, E026381, M026381. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1569 - 1811.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1577 - 1979, Burials c1563 - 1980, Marriages 1569 - 1932, Boyds Marriage Index 1569 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1571 to 1912, and Bishop's transcripts 1682 to 1772, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1725 to 1900 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
- Banns. Banns 1759 to 1908 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1569 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1569 to 1811 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1550 to 1912, including Bishop's transcriptions 1682 to 1772, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
Although it was originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Lesnewth is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Lesnewth which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Lawhitton ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Lesnewth has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX130900 (Lat/Lon: 50.679477, -4.648325), Lesnewth which are provided by:
Lesnewth parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 104 persons
- Population in 1811 - 105 persons
- Population in 1821 - 123 persons
- Population in 1831 - 127 persons
- Population in 1841 - 137 persons
- Population in 1851 - 131 persons
- Population in 1861 - 114 persons
- Population in 1871 - 129 persons
- Population in 1881 - 116 persons
- Population in 1891 - 99 persons
- Population in 1901 - 91 persons
- Population in 1911 - 71 persons
- Population in 1921 - 117 persons
- Population in 1931 - 117 persons
- Population in 1951 - 69 persons
- Population in 1961 - 76 persons
- Population in 1971 - 65 persons
- Population in 1981 - 80 persons
- Population in 1991 - 70 persons
- Population in 2001 - 85 persons
- Population in 2011 - 60 persons
The parish comprises 2024 acres of land.