GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Ludgvan

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Ludgvan, or Ludevon, (Cornish: Lusowen), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north by Towednack and Lelant, on the east by St Erth and St Hilary, on the south by Mount's Bay and Gulval, and on the west by Gulval and Towednack. It lies to the south of St Ives in the narrow neck of land between St Ives and Penzance. To the west is the moorland area of West Penwith with its ancient Chysauster settlement lying in the neighbouring parish of Gulval. The parish is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. In June 1793, a Roman urn was found by some labourers in digging a trench on the border of the parish near the sea. It was buried in the sand two or three feet under the surface, and the coins in it were considerably corroded. However, they were chiefly of the reigns of Gallienus, Victorinus, Tetricus, etc.

The Churchtown village is small, although the area covered by the parish includes the larger village of Crowlas. Other villages are Lower Quarter, Cockwells, Whitecross, Canonstown, and Manwinion. The Red River runs through the parish and down to Mount's Bay near Long Rock.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Ludgvan has been in the Penzance Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Ludgvan ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Manors

The Manor of Ludgvan Lese covered parts of the parishes of Ludgvan, St. Ives, Zennor and Towednack. The abstracts of the Manorial Records 1688-1739, which are taken from LDS film #1471491, are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1324 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1491 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1839 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2322 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 3190 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 3529 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 3480 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2960 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 2623 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2334 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 2274 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 2213 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 2052 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1897 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 2533 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 2213 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 2430 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 2765 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 3075 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 3184 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 3250 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Wills & Admons for Ludgvan parish, 1661-1772 are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 4541 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.