The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for:
The parish of Luxulyan, (Cornish: Logsulyan), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It
is bounded on the north by Lanivet, and the east by Lanlivery and Tywardreath,
on the south by St Blazey and St Austell, and on the west by Roche. The name of
the parish is pronounced 'Luksillyan'. It is a small village on the edge of
Bodmin Moor. In the nineteenth century a mining and mineral railway was built
through the Luxylyan valley to connect with mining area around Bugle.
Luxulyanite, a beautiful and rare type of Cornish granite, is found in this
area. It was chosen for the sarcophogus of the Duke of Wellington at St Paul's
The present-day Parish of Luxulyan is rather long and narrow
in shape, with St Blazey Bridge on the A390 (St Austell to Liskeard road) at
its southernmost extremity and Innis (or Ennis) Downs, with its British Telecom
Maritime Radio Station and roundabout signalling the end of the A30 Bodmin
by-pass, in the north. The current adult population is just under one thousand,
of whom about one third live in the village; the remainder being dispersed
amongst the numerous hamlets and farmsteads which make up the
The principal villages in the parish are: the Churchtown,
Bridges, Treskilling, Rosemelling, Higher Menadue, and
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Parish Church - 715 entries
- Gunwen Methodist Chapel - 50 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Luxulyan (HO107/145), Enumeration
Districts 10 to 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Luxulyan (HO107/1904), Enumeration
Districts 4a, 4b, 4c and 4d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Luxulyan (RG9/1533), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Luxulyan (RG10/2246), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Luxulyan (RG11/2289), Enumeration Districts 1 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Luxulyan (RG12/1814), Enumeration
Districts 1 to 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX0558; it is dedicated to St Ciricius
& St Julitta, perhaps earlier to St Sulien. It consists of a chancel, nave, and
north and south aisles. The arcades each have six four-centred arches of
granite, supported on monolith pillars of the same material. The south porch is
the only entrance in use; it is battlemented and vaulted, with Pentewan stone,
on which is sculpted Gothic paneling and tracery. The tower, which is of three
stages, is built of large masses of squared granite and finished with
The parish church itself has been enlarged, in fact almost
entirely rebuilt, in the century preceding the Reformation by the addition of
the aisles to the nave and chancel, plus the erection of the three-stage
western tower. It was a great period of church building and rebuilding similar
to the amount of like activity during the Victorian era. There had doubtless
been an economic revival after the catastrophic succession of Black Death and
other plagues during the previous century, while previous high levels of
population were gradually recovered. If the tradition be true that the turret
at the north-east corner of the church tower housed the local stannary records,
it is natural to infer that, at the time it was being built, the tinners of the
Luxulyan area were prosperously active. There was plenty, possibly more than
enough, building stone at hand for enlarging the church. The local
coarse-grained granite did not present too many difficulties to local masons
who had become adept at cutting and shaping it, although it is still a matter
of wonder how some of the massive blocks in the lower part of the church tower
were manhandled into place as many must weigh a ton or more. The rebuilding
must have taken years rather than months, but labour by the time it was
undertaken was cheap again after the wage upsurge caused by the Black Death
while building probably progressed apace in times of temporary recessions in
tin streaming fortunes. Besides the aisles and tower, the fifteenth century
builders added the embattled, stone-roofed porch. The original font was moved
back to its present position in the extended western end. Behind it, the tower
arch is now open to the church; a singing gallery, which once hid it, was
removed in 1863.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had chapels at Rosemelling and also at Gunwen, to which a cemetery was attached.
- The Bible Christians had chapels at Ebenezer, Ennis, and Bridges. The old chapel at Ebenezer was remarkable as being the first built by Mr O'Bryant for use of his people, then called
the Bryanites, but later referred to as Bible Christians. The site of the chapel at Ennis was formerly a burying place of the Society of Friends (Quakers).
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1594 - 1881, Burials 1594 - 1898,
Marriages 1594 - 1902, Boyd's Marriage Index 1594 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, Non-Conformist records 1820 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1750 to 18881 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1736 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD baptisms (1837 to 1873) of the Bodmin Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: Bodmin, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Withiel, and St Breock. They have also published on CD baptisms (1872 to 1900) of the Bodmin Bible Christian Circuit. Areas include: Bodmin, Lanivet, Roche, Lanlivery, Luxulyan, Withiel, and Egloshayle.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD baptisms (1837 to 1870) of the Bodmin Wesleyan Circuit. Areas include: Bodmin, Lanlivery, Lanivet, Roche, Luxulyan, Cardinham, St Mabyn, Withiel, Egloshayle and St Breock.
- Phillimore's marriages 1594 to 1812, and 1807 to 1820 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1594 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1682 to 1762 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1711 to 1936 (parish transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Luxulyan was in the Bodmin Registration District since 1st
July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St
Mabyn but these have now been abolished. It is now in the St
Austell Registration District. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Luxulyan are available.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Luxulyan ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Luxulyan (1731 - 1833) can be found in the Cornwall
Luxulyan parish was part of the Bodmin
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts
(1745 to 1773, 1812 to 1817, 1817 to 1820, 1826 to 1832, 1832 to 1835),
Settlement Papers (1716 to 1863) and Bastardy Bonds (1724 to 1839) are
available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 875 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1047 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1276 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1288 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1512 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1439 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1329 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1248 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1098 persons
- Population in 1891 - 937 persons
- Population in 1901 - 970 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1016 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1019 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1010 persons
- Population in 1951 - 904 persons
- Population in 1961 - 861 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1028 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1120
persons, inluding 710 persons in Luxulyan village
- Population in 1991 - 1195
persons, including 795 persons in Luxulyan village
- Population in 2001 - 1371 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1490 persons
The parish comprises 5410 acres of land and 22 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.