GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Luxulyan

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Luxulyan, (Cornish: Logsulyan), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Lanivet, and the east by Lanlivery and Tywardreath, on the south by St Blazey and St Austell, and on the west by Roche. The name of the parish is pronounced 'Luksillyan'. It is a small village on the edge of Bodmin Moor. In the nineteenth century a mining and mineral railway was built through the Luxylyan valley to connect with mining area around Bugle. Luxulyanite, a beautiful and rare type of Cornish granite, is found in this area. It was chosen for the sarcophogus of the Duke of Wellington at St Paul's cathedral.

The present-day Parish of Luxulyan is rather long and narrow in shape, with St Blazey Bridge on the A390 (St Austell to Liskeard road) at its southernmost extremity and Innis (or Ennis) Downs, with its British Telecom Maritime Radio Station and roundabout signalling the end of the A30 Bodmin by-pass, in the north. The current adult population is just under one thousand, of whom about one third live in the village; the remainder being dispersed amongst the numerous hamlets and farmsteads which make up the parish.

The principal villages in the parish are: the Churchtown, Bridges, Treskilling, Rosemelling, Higher Menadue, and Bedwith.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Luxulyan was in the Bodmin Registration District since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. It is now in the St Austell Registration District. Parishes within the district were: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Luxulyan ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Luxulyan (1731 - 1833) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Luxulyan parish was part of the Bodmin Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1745 to 1773, 1812 to 1817, 1817 to 1820, 1826 to 1832, 1832 to 1835), Settlement Papers (1716 to 1863) and Bastardy Bonds (1724 to 1839) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 875 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1047 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1276 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1288 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1512 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1439 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1329 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1248 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1098 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 937 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 970 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1016 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1019 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1010 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 904 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 861 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1028 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1120 persons, inluding 710 persons in Luxulyan village
  • Population in 1991 - 1195 persons, including 795 persons in Luxulyan village
  • Population in 2001 - 1371 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1490 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 5410 acres of land and 22 acres of water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 27th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.