Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Mabe, (Cornish: Lannvab), anciently called La Vabe or Lavapper, was situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier; it is now in the Deanery of Carnmarth South. It is bounded on the north by St Gluvias, on the east by St Gluvias and Budock, on the south by Constantine, and on the west by Stithians and St Gluvias. It is immediately south-west of the town of Penryn. The Church, which is separate from the village, was originally dedicated to St Mabon (or Mabe), who is believed to have been one of the 24 children of King Broccan. Local quarries were once a chief source of granite for building projects such as Waterloo Bridge in London.
The chief villages are Burnthouse, Long Downs, and Rocky Town. A portion of the Falmouth reservoirs was in this parish.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Mabe (HO107/138), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241261.
- The 1851 Census of Mabe (HO107/1911), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Mabe is listed in Volume 23. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Mabe (RG9/1568), Enumeration District 2, including Merchant Shipping, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mabe (RG10/2298), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mabe (RG11/2320), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mabe (RG12/1838), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7634 which is dedicated to St Laudus. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The arcades each comprise six somewhat small four-centred arches of granite supported on slender octagonal monolith pillars of the same material. The chief entrance is a south porch; there is also a priest's door. The tower has three stages, and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles. In February 1866, the church was struck by lightning which damaged it such that the entire fabric, excepting the tower and porch, had to be rebuilt.
There is also another Anglican church at Ponsanooth which is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists had chapels at Trenowth and Halvussoe; there is another at Edgecumbe which is now in this parish but was originally in Wendron.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Mabe are: C022551/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage for this parish is 1653 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1654 - 1904, Burials 1654 - 1960, Marriages 1654 - 1975, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1675, BTs 1610 - 1675.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre-1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1674 to 1704 and 1813 to 1844 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1757 to 1845 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Marriages. The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1611 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1653 to 1712 and 1813 to 1823 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Mabe is in the Falmouth Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn. Parishes within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Mabe are available.
You can see pictures of Mabe which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Mabe ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Mabe has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mabe to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW760340 (Lat/Lon: 50.163548, -5.137839), Mabe which are provided by:
Mabe parish was part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 387 persons
- Population in 1811 - 396 persons
- Population in 1821 - 457 persons
- Population in 1831 - 512 persons
- Population in 1841 - 594 persons
- Population in 1851 - 616 persons
- Population in 1861 - 613 persons
- Population in 1871 - 714 persons
- Population in 1881 - 679 persons
- Population in 1891 - 648 persons
- Population in 1901 - 590 persons
- Population in 1911 - 624 persons
- Population in 1921 - 587 persons
- Population in 1931 - 635 persons
- Population in 1951 - 640 persons
- Population in 1961 - 770 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1059 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1005 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1170 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1276 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2083 persons
The parish comprises 2552 acres of land.