"MAKER parish, which occupies a great part of the bold promontory and
peninsula, which juts out into the English Channel on the west side of Plymouth
Sound, and the south side of the harbour of
Hamoaze, opposite Stonehouse and Devonport, is partly in Cornwall, and contains
2725 inhabitants and 2260 acres of land, of which 1156 souls and about 1320
acres are in VAULTERSHOME tithing, which is in
Devonshire, and includes the beautiful seat of Mount Edgcumbe, the
parish church, the village of Kingsand, and part of Millbrook.
The whole parish was in the Archdeaconry of Cornwall and Deanery of East, and
the Union of St Germans...
The Parish church of Maker is dedicated to
St. Macra, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued at
£2333, in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and the incumbency of the
Rev. Edward Trelawney, M.A." [From: White's
History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, 1850]
The name of
the parish, (Cornish: Magor), is said to have been derived from either St Macarius, a native of
Egypt, who flourished in the 14th century, or from St Macra, the virgin
daughter of a Scottish King, who was martyred at Rheims in AF 304. It is
bounded on the north by St John's Lake, on the east by Plymouth Sound and
the south by the parish of Rame and the sea. Peskett: "The tithing of
Vaulterhome was in the county of Devon until it was transferred to Cornwall in
1844. Millbrook and West Stonehouse (distinguish East Stonehouse) are in this
parish." Millbrook was created from
part of Maker in 1867.
The parish, which in 1943 was united with that of
Rame, is in the extreme south-east of Cornwall
separated from Plymouth by the stretch of water known as 'Plymouth
Sound'. The two villages in Maker and Rame are Kingsand and Cawsand.
A few fisherman were settled here in 1483 when Henry Tudor, later Henry VII,
landed here briefly as part of an abortive attempt to overthrow Richard III.
The real influx of people began when Plymouth merchants built pilchard cellars
along the beach (still here) in Elizabeth I's reign and in the next two
centuries smuggling flourished, the goods obtained both from cross-Channel
trips and incoming merchantmen.
The villages were the headquarters of West Country free trade, finally
suppressed by 1850. Kingsand was still in Devon until 1844 and the boundary
stone between the two counties is still opposite the Halfway Hotel, separating
Turk Town (Cawsand) and the North Rockers (Kingsand). Intense rivalry between
the two villages continued well into the 20th century.
Maker was united with Rame parish in 1943 to form Maker-with-Rame
parish, which for civil purposes, is now part of the Cornwall County
Further information on
Maker is available.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Rev. Geoffrey Blanchard White - Maker with Rame (notes towards a Parish
History). (Typescripts in Plymouth Local Studies Library 972R 374 -
probably copies also in Truro). (Full of really good information with
trancripts of property deeds etc. which would be useful to family
The Cornwall Family History
have not yet published Monumental Inscriptions for this Parish.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Maker (HO107/135), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1841 census for this parish has been filmed by the LDS church - film
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Maker (RG9/1522) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Maker is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Maker (RG11/2279), Enumeration Districts 3 [including Barracks] and 4 [including Barracks], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Maker (RG12/1806) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online
Census project as follows:
- 1901. The 1901 Census of Maker is available on-line by courtesy of the Rame Peninsular History Group.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX4452; it is dedicated to St Mary and St Julian. It
comprises a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south transepts
and three western galleries. The arcades consist of five four-centred arches
each supported on monlith granite pillars. On the front of the galleries, one
of which was appropriated to the Mount Edgecumbe family, are painted shields
bearing the Edgcumbe arms with those of Furnesse, Walpole amd Rolle. There is a
south porch; the north door and priest's door are blocked. The Tower, which has
three stages, is 65 feet in height. It is buttressed, the buttresses
terminating in pinnacles, and is finished with battlements and crocketted
pinnacles. The present church is a typical 15th Century Cornish Church; in 1874
the Edgcumbe chapel was added.
The following books about the church are
There was a chapel-of-ease to Maker at Egloshele in the village of Kingsand. It was built in 1882 and has two stained windows and sitting for 300 people.
- Two towers: a short history of the churches and parish of
Maker with Rame. [Maker?] : [Maker Church?] 
[Westcountry Studies Library - pC/MAK/0001/TWO].
The parish of Maker with Rame and its parish churches (Rev ed.)
Guildford: Home Words Ltd (1966)
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyans had a chapel and Sunday School in Kingsand.
- Indices and transcripts of the Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers of
the Parish of Rame, 1653 - 1812 compiled by Rev. Geoffrey Blanchard White ,
MA. in Harris, G & F.L. (eds) Essays and Notes on the Rame Peninsula
1963. [This is a typescript of which bound copies were deposited in various
local libraries including Plymouth, Truro etc but most have vanished. One
survives in Torpoint Library. It includes essays on the Vallack family and
other wider material. It is a Carbon copy and needs copying onto disc
- Indices and Transcripts of the Baptisms and Deaths for the
parishes of Maker and Rame, 1813 -1843. Typed copies held in Mount
Edgcumbe House History Files. [Anon. but almost certainly by the Rev. White].
NB: there are no marriage records included here.
- LDS Church Records.
- Parish Registers. The parish registers, going back to 1630, are held in the Cornwall Record
Office. The Devon Record Office has copies of the Bishops' Transcripts - for
details see Parish Registers
in the Devon Record Office.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings are: Baptisms 1630 - 1843, Burials 1630 - 1849,
Marriages 1630 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1637 - 1673, BTs 1607 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Baptisms 1867 to 1889 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- (See the on-line parish records for the Rame peninsular parishes).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1744 to 1841 for this parish.
- The Plymouth Record Office holdings of records in this parish: Kingsand Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1842-1967.
The parish of Maker is in the St
Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Campbell-Culver, Margaret. Mount Edgcumbe. Maker: Mount Edgcumbe House
(1993) 35p: col ill, maps [ISBN 0952188007] [Westcountry Studies Library -
- Crossing, William. Mount Edgcumbe Park: historical - descriptive -
Plymouth: Hoyten & Cole [1900?] 17p. [Westcountry Studies Library -
- Manpower Services Commission. Survey of Mount Edgcumbe, Cornwall.
Truro: Cornwall County Council (1984) v, 63p: maps [Plymouth Library - 72].
- A walk round Mount Edgecumbe (2nd ed). Plymouth Dock:
L.Congdon (1805) 36p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/PLY 1/1805/PLY].
- History and guide to Mount Edgecumbe House & Country Park.
Cornwall County Council (19--) 15p: ill [Plymouth Library - 728.8MOU].
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Maker ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the parish.
The first Lord Mount Edgcumbe built Mount Edgcumbe House at Cremyll in 1552,
but unfortunately it was bombed in the Second World War. The house was restored
in 1960, but it is the magnificent gardens overlooking Plymouth Sound which are
the main attraction for visitors. The Edgcumbe family have been major employers
and benefactors of the parish since that early time, to the present day. The
house and gardens are now jointly owned by Plymouth City and Cornwall County
In March 1587 a Spanish pinnace landed a raiding Party at
Cawsand which tried to burn down the village, but one man with a musket put
them to flight. In the Civil War Maker Church tower was fortified by the
Royalist garrison of Mount Edgcumbe and was captured by the Plymouth
Parliamentary forces in May 1644. For the next two centuries the Bay was a
major anchorage for the British Navy - Nelson for instance in 1801. In the 18th
century Maker Church tower was an Admiralty signal station with its own crew,
passing messages by semaphore to Devonport Dockyard. Massive Fortifications of
many centuries still dot the peninsula.
Useful books include:
Campbell-Culver, Margaret. Mount Edgcumbe.
Maker: Mount Edgcumbe House (1993) 35p : col ill ,maps [ISBN
0952188007] [Westcountry Studies Library -
Carne, Tony. Cornwall's Forgotten Corner- including Cawsand, Kingsand,
Milbrook, St John & Sheviock, Rame, Tony Carne (1985) 132 p.
[ISBN: 0 946143 13 7] [Kingsand and Millbrook make up the parish of Maker
Devon). Mount Edgecumbe, Cremyl, etc., figure quite highly.]
Crossing, William. Mount Edgcumbe Park: historical -
descriptive - pictorial. Plymouth: Hoyten & Cole [1900?]
17p. [Westcountry Studies Library - 712.5/PLY/CRO]
Manpower Services Commission. Survey of Mount
Edgcumbe, Cornwall. Truro: Cornwall County Council (1984) v,63p
: maps [Plymouth Library - 72]
Warwick, Jill and Warwick, Glyn, (Ed.). As it Was,
Jill Warwick, Maker with Rame Women's Inst. (Printed by Liskeard Printing
(2000) 204 p.
A walk round Mount Edgecumbe (2nd ed.) Plymouth
Dock: L.Congdon (1805) 36p. [Westcountry Studies Library - sB/PLY
History and guide to Mount Edgecumbe House &
Country Park. Cornwall County Council (19--) 15p : ill
[Plymouth Library - 728.8MOU.
The parish of Maker with Rame and its parish
churches (rev ed.) Guildford: Home Words Ltd
Two towers: a short history of the churches and
parish of Maker with Rame. [Maker?]: [Maker Church?]
Maker parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Population figures are of Maker-with-Rame; some figures relate only to
Maker. Millbrook parish was created from Maker in 1867.
- Population in 1801 - 2595 persons
- Population in 1811 - 4656 persons
- Population in 1821 - 2603 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2441 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2369 plus 1561 persons in Maker
- Population in 1851 - 2357 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3778 plus 2986 persons in Maker
- Population in 1871 - 4067 plus 2938 persons in Maker, and 224 persons
in Maker Barracks
- Population in 1881 - 2082 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2193, plus 3304 persons in Maker
- Population in 1901 - 3052 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1919 persons
- Population in 1921 - 3309 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1378 persons (Maker)
- Population in 1951 - 1408 persons (Maker)
- Population in 1961 - 1441 persons (Maker)
- Population in 1971 - 1145 persons (Maker)
- Population in 1981 - 1120 persons (Maker)
- Population in 1991 - 1043 persons (Maker)
- Population in 2001 - 1071 persons (Maker-with-Rame)
- Population in 2011 - 1020 persons (Maker-with-Rame)
The Rame History Group aims to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula. The group meets every month in the Congregational Hall.
The parish comprises 1297 acres of land, 6 acres of tidal water and 148
acres of foreshore.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 24th May 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.