The parish of Manaccan, (Cornish: Managhan), Monachan, Monathon, and, anciently, Minster, is situated in the Meneage district of the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north by the Helford estuary, on the east by St Anthony, and on the south and west by St Keverne and St Martins. Manaccan lies on the south of the Helford River, between St Martin's and St. Anthony. It's ancient name was 'Minstor'. Richard Polwhele, Rector of Manaccan in 1793, wrote largely on the antiquities and history of Devon and Cornwall.
In this parish is Helford, which was originally a small trading village. From here is a ferry across to Passage House, now known as 'Helford Passage', in the parish of Mawnan. Titanium, or macannanite, as it was then called, was discovered in this parish in 1791 by the Rev. William Gregor. Gold also exists in the black sand which yields manaccanite, but not enough in quantity to pay for working.
Manaccan is a hillside parish set in pleasant countryside to the south of the Helford River. The church is dedicated to unknown saint, referred to as 'Sancta Manaca' in 1259. During the Napoleonic wars, Captain Bligh of Bounty fame was carrying out research for the Admiralty in the Helford River and was arrested as a suspected spy. He was locked in the coal cellar of the Rev. Richard Polwhele, but eventually released when he was able to prove his identity. Despite his treatment Bligh and Polwhele became friends and remained in touch for several years.
Besides the Churchtown, the only other village of size in the parish is Helford. Helford now is a very attractive holiday area with many cottages, a sailing club and much sailing available
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)