The parish of Marhamchurch, (Cornish: Eglosvarwenn), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and
Hundred of Stratton. It is bounded on the north by Stratton and Launcells, on
the east by Bridgerule, on the south by Week St Mary and Poundstock, and on the
west by the sea. It was founded as a monastic settlement by St. Morwenna - the
'Church of St Marwen'. This saint could be another one of the children
King Broccan or could be St Merwenn, the 10th century abbess of Romsey
in Hampshire. The parish is in the north-east corner of Cornwall near the Devon
border, which may explain the English-sounding name. The manor of Marham Church
is the Maroncirche and Maronacirca of the Domesday Survey of
1086: "Hamelin holds MARONECICHE. Broder held it before 1066, and paid
tax for 1½ furlongs. 1 virgate of land there, however. Land for 2 ploughs; 1
plough there, with 1 slave and 1 villager and 2 smallholders. Pasture, 20
acres. Formerly 10s; value 6. [20 sheep Exon]".
village lies on the course of the old Bude canal, built in the 19th century,
which connected Launceston and Holsworthy to the port of Bude. In 1888 the
railways made the canal obsolete. The only villages are the Churchtown and
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 762 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Marhamchurch (HO107/151), Enumeration
Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1851 Census of Marhamchurch (HO107/1897) (Enumeration
Districts 4a and 4b), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Marhamchurch is listed in
Volume 5. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Marhamchurch (RG9/1513), Enumeration
Districts 7 and 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Marhamchurch (RG10/2216), Enumeration
Districts 7 and 8 [plus Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Marhamchurch (RG11/2270), Enumeration
Districts 7, and 8 [including Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Marhamchurch (RG12/1797), Enumeration
Districts 7 and 8 [plus Merchant Shipping], is available on-line from
the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SS2203, and was dedicated to St
Morwenna. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The
arcade consists of five four-centred arches. The entrances are a south porch
and a priest's door; the north door is blocked. The tower has three stages,
is buttressed at the angles, and is finished with battlements and pinnacle; the
belfry contains five bells.
- Non-Conformist. In the Churchtown were chapels for the
Wesleyan Methodists, Bible Christians, and the United Methodist Free Church.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1558 - 1866, Burials 1558 - 1890,
Marriages 1558 - 1977, Boyds Marriage Index 1558 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Burials 1719 to 1890 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
The parish of Marhamchurch is in the Stratton
Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Kilhampton, Stratton and Week St Mary but these have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Marhamchurch are available on-line.
- More pictures of Marhamchurch are available, courtesy of Steve Potter.
OPC Assistance.The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Marhamchurch ecclesiastical parish:
- Marhamchurch parish was part of the Stratton
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1819 to 1838) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 414 persons
- Population in 1811 - 448 persons
- Population in 1821 - 647 persons
- Population in 1831 - 659 persons
- Population in 1841 - 659 persons
- Population in 1851 - 584 persons
- Population in 1861 - 581 persons
- Population in 1871 - 591 persons
- Population in 1881 - 535 persons
- Population in 1891 - 484 persons
- Population in 1901 - 445 persons
- Population in 1911 - 466 persons
- Population in 1921 - 464 persons
- Population in 1931 - 471 persons
- Population in 1951 - 588 persons
- Population in 1961 - 473 persons
- Population in 1971 - 449 persons
- Population in 1981 - 470 persons
- Population in 1991 - 648 persons
- Population in 2001 - 754 persons
- Population in 2011 - 728 persons
The parish comprises 2703 acres of land, 13 acres of water and 92 acres of
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.