GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Menheniot

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Menheniot, (Cornish: Mahunyes), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by St Cleer and St Ive, on the east by Quethiock and St Germans, on the south and west by Morval and Liskeard. The parish of Menheniot lies east of the town of Liskeard. The parish is intersected on the south side by the River SEATON, and bounded on the north by the river Tidi. In a Valor of Pope Nicholas circa 1291, the name of this parish is written as Manhunyhet. At one time there was an Iron Foundry at Roseland Vale; part of this later became a sawmill, and part a flour mill.

The village of Menheniot is about two miles south-east of Liskeard close to the A38 and main railway line to the west of Cornwall. The area is a pleasant one with fertile soil, and is renowned for the quality of slate which has been quarried here for hundreds of years. The discovery of lead at Menheniot in 1843 caused a minor boom in mining and the population doubled in a very short time. The enormous social consequences for the village were matched only by the dramatic physical change, with massive engine houses soon dominating the skyline. By the 1870s the boom had collapsed, the miners sought pastures new and the village reverted to its agricultural life that we know today.

The principle villages are Menheniot, Crift Cottages, Pengover Green, and Merrymeet.

Cemeteries

Memorial inscriptions for this parish have not yet been published.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Menheniot has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe, but these closed in the 1930's. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Menheniot ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 918 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1024 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1170 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1253 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1224 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1944 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2423 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2205 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1373 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1191 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1183 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1126 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1064 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1062 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1073 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1095 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1173 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1295 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1515 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1605 persons
  • Population on 2011 - 1655 persons

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Menheniot are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 6987 acres of land and 15 acres of water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.