GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Mevagissey

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Mevagissey, (Cornish: Lannvorek), anciently called Lamorrack or Laverack, is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. Mevagissey derives its name from St Meva & St Issey. At one time the popular name for the village was 'Porthilly', which name is still in use as a part of the town. It is bounded on the north by St Austell and St Ewe, on the east by St Austell Bay, on the south by Gorran, and on the west by Gorran and St Ewe. This parish containing the ancient fishing port of Mevagissey is on the south coast of Cornwall, south-west of St Austell. The name is derived from two saints, Meva and Issey, in Cornish this would 'Meva hag Issey', hence the 'g' in the name.

A pier for the purpose of affording shelter for the fishing boats was constructed by the Trewollas family, who owned the manor of Trelevan; this was reconstructed about 1770-3 and subsequently improved again. At one time this port dealt with huge quantities of pilchards, but these unfortunately disappeared from the seas around Cornwall at the end of the 19th century. The picturesque narrow streets leading down to the harbour still retain some of the charm of an age when the horse and cart were the main method of transport, but unfortunately find it difficult to cope with modern traffic. In the 17th century smuggling and privatering were important sources of income for the people of Mevagissey.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Mevagissey has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Medical Records

In 1849, the town of Mevagissey was severly visited by cholera; this resulted in many fisherman and their families to embark in their boats and flee to neighbouring ports for refuge from the pestilence.

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Mevagissey parish was part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 2052 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 2225 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2450 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2169 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2310 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2022 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1908 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2073 persons, plus 6 recorded as living on shipping
  • Population in 1881 - 2186 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 2220 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 2088 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1849 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1745 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 2093 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 2212 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 2050 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 2151 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 1920 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 2290 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 2221 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 2015 persons

Return to top of page

Probate

Transcription of the Last Will and Testament of some inhabitants of Mevagissy are on-line, courtesy of the OPC.

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish occupies 1381 acres of land.

Return to top of page

Voting Registers

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.