Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Michaelstow, (Cornish: Lannvighal), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Minor, and Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by Lanteglos-by-Camelford, on the east by St Breward, on the south by St Tudy, and on the west by St Tudy and St Teath. The parish takes its name from 'St Michael's holy place'. It is a small attractive village and parish, which is located on south-west of Camelford in north-east Cornwall; the River Camel runs along its eastern edge. Just to the north at Helsbury is an ancient circular Iron-age hill fort, called Michaelstow Beacon. The Churchtown and Treveighan are the only villages.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Michaelstow (HO107/140), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Michaelstow (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Michaelstow is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Michaelstow (RG9/1516), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Michaelstow (RG10/2221), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Michaelstow (RG11/2273), Enumeration District 9, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Michaelstow (RG12/1800), Enumeration District 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX0878. The holy well in the churchyard opposite the South Door points to the church being located on an ancient site of worship.
The church is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels. It consists of a chancel, nave, and north and south aisles. The south arcade has four four-centred arches, supported on monolith granite pillars; the south arcade has five similar arches and opillars. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is 56 feet in height; it consists of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles. Further detail on the church history is available.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Bible Christian chapel at Treveighan, and an Association Methodist chapel at Leathern Bottle.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1680 - 1812, Burials 1544 - 1974, Marriages 1548 - 1842, Boyds Marriage Index 1548 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials.
- Phillimore's marriages 1548 to 1812, and Bishop's transcripts 1676 to 1772 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1548 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts) for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book formats.
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Michaelstow is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Michaelstow are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Michaelstow which are provided by:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- Mailing Lists. There is a mailing list for anyone with a genealogical and or historical interest in Bodmin Moor and its surrounding villages. Villages covered are: Advent (Tresinney), Alternun, Blisland, Bodmin, Boventor, Camelford (Lanteglos), Cardinham, Davidstow, Egloshayle, Helland, Laneast, Lanteglos by Camelford, Launceston, Lewannick, Liskeard, Michaelstow, North Hill, St Breward, St Breock, St Cleer, St Clether, St Mabyn, St Neot, St Tudy, Temple, Tresinney, Trewen, Wadebridge (Egloshayle & St Breock), and Warleggan. This list is in support of the OnLine Parish Clerk system. You can also subscribe to the ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-L for the List version, or ENG-CON-BODMINMOOR-D (digest) for the Digest version.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX080780 (Lat/Lon: 50.570053, -4.712801), Michaelstow which are provided by:
Michaelstow parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 158 persons
- Population in 1811 - 181 persons
- Population in 1821 - 216 persons
- Population in 1831 - 215 persons
- Population in 1841 - 225 persons
- Population in 1851 - 218 persons
- Population in 1861 - 219 persons
- Population in 1871 - 240 persons
- Population in 1881 - 222 persons
- Population in 1891 - 225 persons
- Population in 1901 - 215 persons
- Population in 1911 - 191 persons
- Population in 1921 - 198 persons
- Population in 1931 - 193 persons
- Population in 1951 - 203 persons
- Population in 1961 - 204 persons
- Population in 1971 - 185 persons
- Population in 1981 - 180 persons
- Population in 1991 - 201 persons
- Population in 2001 - 199 persons
- Population in 2011 - 233 persons
The parish comprises 1631 acres of land and 4 acres of water.