Millbrook, (Cornish: Govermelin), is in the Hundred and Deanery of East. The name 'Millbrook'
obviously means mill-stream, but the site of any mill is unknown. The parish of
Millbrook was created from part of Maker
parish in 1867. It is located in the Hundred and deanery of East. It is
separated from the city of Plymouth by the River Tamar, and until 1869 was
administered as part of the parish of Maker. There is evidence that there has
been a settlement here since the Stone Age. In the 17th century it possessed a
large fishing fleet, and the convenience of water transport led to the
development of industries such as brickyards and the manufacture of
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1115
Census information for this parish (1871 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- In the 1851 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Maker (which included
Millbrook) is listed in Volume 8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. In the 1861 Census, Millbrook was enumerated as part of Maker.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Millbrook (RG10/2228), Enumeration Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Millbrook (RG11/2279), Enumeration Districts 1 [including Merchant Shipping] and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Millbrook (RG12/1806) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX4252, and is dedicated to All
The Parish of All Saints', Millbrook was formed when it broke
away from the ancient Parish of Maker in 1869. The Vicars of Maker are recorded
back to 1264. Prior to 1869 a Curate served Millbrook from Maker.
Before this time there is evidence of a Chapel at Insworke, or Insworth, which
dates to the fourteenth century. Little is known of the history of this Chapel
but there are remains to be seen today. It is likely that the Chapel was part
of Insworke Manor, which was in the possession of the Champernowne family. It
is believed that the Chapel was licensed by Bishop Grandisson in 1331 and was
probably disused by the middle of the 16th century. Insworke represents one of
the oldest areas of habitation and sites of Christian worship in
In 1827 a Chapel of Ease was built in the Dodbrooke area of Millbrook. The
Chapel had no chancel and the altar stood close to the east wall. The Font was
located near the west door under the music gallery. Sometime later the East End
of the chapel was extended to form a chancel and choir stalls were added. At
about the same time an organ was installed. It is known that the Sunday School
children sat in the gallery. There was a three decker pulpit.
In 1888 the fabric of the Chapel of Ease became dangerous and the then Vicar of
Millbrook, The Reverend G. Farmer and his wife were anxious that a more
beautiful Church should be built. They headed the subscription list with a
donation of £1,500 requesting that the name 'All Saints' be given to the
new Church. This was quite appropriate for a Church at the very eastern end of
the Diocese of Truro, which has been called the 'Land of the
The new Church in Millbrook was built of Limestone. The pillars, window and
door jambs of the new Church are of blue stone from a Cornish quarry which was
rather unusual in Church architecture at that time. It is polyphant and is used
with white Bath stone.
The fittings of the new church included items from the old Chapel of Ease. The
Altar, Font and lectern, the tables of the Creed, Lord's Prayer and Ten
Commandments, and the organ, church bell and various parts of the seating were
amongst the items included in the new building.
The old altar now stands in the Lady Chapel with the Cross from the old Chapel.
The Eagle lectern, which was carved by a local man from Mount Edgcumbe Oak,
still exists in the present church. The High Altar was given by the parish,
together with the Cross and Candlesticks, in time for the consecration. A White
frontal was specially worked for it by some of the ladies of the parish
assisted by the Sisters of St. Margaret's at Cawsand.
The original design of 1892 for All Saints' Church proposed a building with
a fine Tower but this was never completed due to lack of funds. The Bell from
the old Chapel was incorporated into the new building however, and is still
rung to summon the faithful to prayer and worship.
The Memorial Window situated along the north wall is rather beautiful and was
dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in the Second World War
1939-1945. The names of the fallen are inscribed in a Cornish Slate tablet
below the window.
The new Church was consecrated by Bishop Gott, the Bishop of Truro, on All
Saints' Day, 1st November, 1895. The church is now united with Millbrook and
is known as the 'United Benefice of St. John with Millbrook'.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformists. Both the Wesleyan Methodists and Baptists had chapels here.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1867 - 1958, Burials 1870 - 1968,
Marriages 1869 - 1975.
- The Plymouth
Record Office holdings: Millbrook Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1855-1907,
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1889 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1870 to 1934 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Millbrook is in the St Germans Registration District, and has been since its creation in 1867;
there were sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now
been abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Millbrook are available on-line.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has produced a genealogical website for the parish.
On its creation (1896), Millbrook parish became part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Millbrook was created from part of Maker parish 1867; population figure before 1871 are with Maker.
- Population in 1871 - 1699 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1822 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2116 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2998 persons
- Population in 1911 - 2013 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1959 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1840 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1727 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1600 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1529 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1805 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1891 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2033 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2214 persons
The Rame Peninsula History Group was formed at its inaugural meeting on 30 January 2003. Its aim is to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula.
The parish comprises 1093 acres of land (2480 acres including Maker).
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.