Mithian, (Cornish: Mydhyen), is in the Hundred and Deanery of Powder. The parish of Mithian is
seven miles north-west of Truro, and near the north coast between St Agnes and
Perranporth. The picturesque village of Mithian was originally on the branch
railway line from Chacewater to Newquay, but this was closed in
The ecclesiastical parish was created from parts of St Agnes, Kea, Perranzabuloe and Kenwyn parishes, and was gazetted on 24th July 1846. It is located some 5 1/2 miles north-west of Truro. When the parish was founded, it included both the villages of Mithian and Blackwater.
Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 947 entries.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Mithian was enumerated as part of St Agnes and Kenwyn parishes.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mithian is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7450 and was dedicated to St Peter. Mithian is in the Deanery of Powder. This ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1847 principally from the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea, but also partly from Perranzabuloe and St Agnes, to cope with a growing population. The curate appointed to set up the new parish decided to build the church midway between the two villages of Mithian and Blackwater at Chiverton Cross.
The church, which is built of stone in the Decorated style, was built by voluntary contributions in 1861. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south transepts. At the west end is a tower surmounted by a spire. Early in its life, the tower was damaged either by lightning or poor
workmanship; because the stone started to crumble, the tower was taken down in 1898 and a new tower without the spire was built in 1928.
From ancient times, at least two ancient chapels had existed in Mithian, one of which at Mawla was reused as a cowshed.
Mithian church closed permanently in 2008. Details about the plans of the church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan chapel in the parish.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1848 - 1977, Burials 1861 -
1977, Marriages 1862 - 1977.
- Baptisms 1849 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have published Baptisms of St Agnes Wesleyan Circuit 1837 - 1900 on CD. The Circuit covers St Agnes, Perranzabuloe, Cubert, St Columb Minor, Newlyn East, Crantock and Mithian. Blackwater Chapel baptisms 1839-1900) and Mount Hawke Chapel baptisms 1850 - 1867 are included.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, of the Perranzabuloe Methodist Chapels. Rose Chapel baptisms (1848 to 1900) and Bolingey Chapel baptisms (1841 to 1890), includes Perranzabuloe, St Agnes, Perranporth and Mithian.
- Marriages. Marriages 1862 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1861 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Mithian has been in the Truro
Registration District since its creation. There were sub-districts at Kea,
Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have
now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Mithian are available.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Mithian parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Up to 1971, population figures for Mithian are largely included in Kenwyn parish; from 1981, the figures were
recorded separately. The following are separate figures of people listed as living in Mithian ecclesiastical parish.
- Population in 1851 - 589 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2085 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1930 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1428 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1248 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1273 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1354 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1232 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1238 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1162 persons
- Population in 1961 - 480 persons
- Population in 1971 - 420 persons
- Population in 1981 - 410 persons
- Population in 1991 - 475 persons
- Population in 2001 - 510 persons
The parish comprised 4415 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2011
[Last updated: 18th January 2011 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.