Mount Hawke, (Cornish: Menydhhok), is in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It lies to the south of
St Agnes and just inland from the sea; it is believed to be named after a
family of ropemakers called Hawke. A document dated 1820 related to land for
building a Methodist Meeting House 'at a place called Mount Hawke'. The
parish containing the village was created from the south-west part of the
parish of St Agnes and a small part of the
civil parish of Illogan in 1847. Since 1965 many bungalows have been built and
the population has trebled. A new school was built in 1980 to replace the first
one built in 1870.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In 1841 Mount Hawke was enumerated under St Agnes civil parish.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- The 1861 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census Project as follows:
- The 1861 Census of Mount Hawke (RG9/1554) is also available on-line, transcribed by Jacqy Faull.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mount Hawke is available on-line from the Cornwall On-line Census Project, as follows:
- Anglican. The ecclesiastical parish of Mount Hawke was created by an
Order in Council in 1846. Before the formation of the ecclesiastical parish in
1847, the inhabitants had used a small building at the bottom of the village in
preference to travelling to St Agnes. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7147 and was dedicated to St John the Baptist; it was consecrated by the Bishop of Exeter on 5th August 1878. It is constructed of local stone with Bath stone dressings in
the Perpendicular style. It consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and a bell
turret containing one bell. The registers date from 1846.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were Wesleyan chapels at Mawla, Mount Hawke, Skinner's Bottom and Porth Towan; Bible Christian chapels at Wheal Rose and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Skinner's Bottom. There is still a Methodist chapel in the parish which was still flourishing at the end of the 20th century.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1906, Marriages 1878 - 1975.
- Baptisms 1876 to 1906 are also available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (COCP).
- Mount Hawke Wesleyan Chapel baptisms 1850 to 1867 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Banns. Banns 1878 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1878 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Mount Hawke has been in the Truro
Registration District since its creation. There were sub-districts at Kea,
Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have
now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Mount Hawke are available on-line.
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC has provided a genealogical website for the parish.
Mount Hawke parish was originally part of St Agnes. When it was created it
became part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Up to 1971, population figures of St Agnes include Mount Hawke and
Mithian; from 1981, the figures for Mount Hawke were counted
as part of St Agnes. The following figures apply only to Mount Hawke.
- Population in 1851 - 2153 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2226 persons
- Population in 1871 - 500 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1261 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1339 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1298 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1228 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1160 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1105 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1316 persons
- Population in 1961 - 520 persons
- Population in 1971 - 600 persons
The ecclesiastical parish comprises 3500 acres.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2012
[Last updated: 4th March 2012 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.