Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Mylor, (Cornish: Lannwydhek), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north by Restronguet Creek which separates it from Feock, on the east by the River Fal which separates it from St Just-in-Roseland, on the south by Falmouth Harbour, and on the west by St Gluvias and Perranarworthal. The parish is named after the patron saint of this parish who, it is said, established the first church at Mylor near the water. The parish is located north of Falmouth on the west coast of the natural haven of Carrick Roads. It once contained a small Royal Navy Dockyard, but the seafront is now popular with yachtsmen. The picturesque Restronguet Creek with its Pandora Inn is north-east of Mylor Bridge. The Inn was once owned by Captain Edwards who brought the Bounty mutineers to justice.
Mylor Bridge is a pleasant village situated at the head of the creek. Tregew is another village. The parish of Flushing was created from Mylor in 1844.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1954 entries.
- There is a memorial in the parish which was erected by the Boys of HM Training Ship GANGES in January 1872. One side reads: Sacred to the Memory of Algernon Horace NEAL, died October 3rd 1898, aged 15 years & 8 months
George WILLS, died October 22nd 1898, aged 16 years & 6 months
Thomas Henry ATKINSON, died October 28th 1898, aged 16 years & 6 months
Joseph Benjamin John BAUGH, died November 23rd 1898, aged 16 years
William George CARTER, died December 20th 1898, aged 17 years & 9 months.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Mylor (HO107/138) including Flushing, Enumeration Districts 1 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Mylor parish (HO107/1911), Enumeration Districts 2c, 2d and 2e, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Mylor is listed in Volume 22. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Mylor parish (RG9/1564), Enumeration Districts 3b [including Merchant Shipping], 4c and 5c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mylor parish is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mylor parish (RG11/2315), Enumeration Districts 3 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mylor parish (RG12/1833) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8036, and is dedicated to St Melorus (or Milor, Melor). It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, north and south transepts, and vestry. The arcade has six semi-circular arches of Caen stone, with pillars and capitals of the same material. The entrances are a south porch, a north door and a priest's door. The north door is a Norman door. The western gable of the nave is surmounted with an embattled turret. A detached belfry stands a short distance to the west of the church.
In May 1869, the church was in a very dilapidated and dangerous condition; it was taken down for restoration. It was found to have three different styles of architecture: Norman (from about the reign of Henry I or Stephen, circa 1130-50); about AD 1400 the church was enlarged and partially reconstructed; this process was carried still further in the early 16th century in the Perpendicular style. During the 19th century renovations, a granite post, which had been used as a flying buttress against the south wall, had to be removed. On clearing away the earth, it was found to be a ponderous cross over 17 feet in length. The Mylor Churchyard Cross is very old; local tradition believes it originally was the marker of St Mylor's grave. It has now been re-erected in the churchyard.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Independents in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1673 - 1904, Burials 1673 - 1943, Marriages 1673 - 1955, Boyd's Marriage Index 1673 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1607 - 1663, Non-Conformist records 1816 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-36 Burials.
- Baptisms 1801 to 1904 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1607 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1673 to 1812, and marriage transcripts 1813 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages at Mylor 1813 to 1905 are also listed, courtesy of Cornwall Parish Register Indexes.
- Burials 1673 to 1743, 1761 to 1875, and 1897 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Mylor was originally in the Falmouth Registration District; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Truro Registration District. Parishes in the Falmouth registration district were: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal, St. Gluvias.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Notes on the Parish of Mylor, Cornwall by Hugh P. Olivet, (Published 1907), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Mylor are available.
You can see pictures of Mylor which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Mylor has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mylor to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW810350 (Lat/Lon: 50.174398, -5.068511), Mylor which are provided by:
Mylor parish was part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish of Flushing was created from part of this parish in 1844.
- Population in 1801 - 1665 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1897 persons
- Population in 1821 - 2193 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2647 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2569 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2203 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2213 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2391 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2207 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2238 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2147 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1979 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2039 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2037 persons
- Population in 1951 - 2074 persons
- Population in 1961 - 2080 persons
- Population in 1971 - 2364 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2385 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2550 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2533 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2548 persons
The parish comprised 3590 acres of land, 3 acres of water, 34 acres of tidal water and 59 acres of foreshore.