The parish of Mylor, (Cornish: Lannwydhek), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is
bounded on the north by Restronguet Creek which separates it from Feock, on the
east by the River Fal which separates it from St Just-in-Roseland, on the south
by Falmouth Harbour, and on the west by St Gluvias and Perranarworthal. The
parish is named after the patron saint of this parish who, it is said,
established the first church at Mylor near the water. The parish is located
north of Falmouth on the west coast of the natural haven of Carrick Roads. It
once contained a small Royal Navy Dockyard, but the seafront is now popular
with yachtsmen. The picturesque Restronguet Creek with its Pandora Inn is
north-east of Mylor Bridge. The Inn was once owned by Captain Edwards who
brought the Bounty mutineers to justice.
Mylor Bridge is a pleasant
village situated at the head of the creek. Tregew is another village. The
parish of Flushing was created from Mylor
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1954
- There is a memorial in the parish which was erected by the Boys of HM Training Ship GANGES in January 1872. One side reads: Sacred to the Memory of Algernon Horace NEAL, died October 3rd 1898, aged 15 years & 8 months
George WILLS, died October 22nd 1898, aged 16 years & 6 months
Thomas Henry ATKINSON, died October 28th 1898, aged 16 years & 6 months
Joseph Benjamin John BAUGH, died November 23rd 1898, aged 16 years
William George CARTER, died December 20th 1898, aged 17 years & 9 months.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Mylor (HO107/138) including Flushing, Enumeration
Districts 1 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1851 Census of Mylor parish (HO107/1911), Enumeration
Districts 2c, 2d and 2e, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Mylor is listed in Volume
22. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Mylor parish (RG9/1564), Enumeration
Districts 3b [including Merchant Shipping], 4c and 5c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Mylor parish is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Mylor parish (RG11/2315), Enumeration
Districts 3 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Mylor parish (RG12/1833) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8036, and is dedicated to St Melorus
(or Milor, Melor). It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, north
and south transepts, and vestry. The arcade has six semi-circular arches of
Caen stone, with pillars and capitals of the same material. The entrances are a
south porch, a north door and a priest's door. The north door is a Norman
door. The western gable of the nave is surmounted with an embattled turret. A
detached belfry stands a short distance to the west of the church.
May 1869, the church was in a very dilapidated and dangerous condition; it was
taken down for restoration. It was found to have three different styles of
architecture: Norman (from about the reign of Henry I or Stephen, circa
1130-50); about AD 1400 the church was enlarged and partially reconstructed;
this process was carried still further in the early 16th century in the
Perpendicular style. During the 19th century renovations, a granite post, which
had been used as a flying buttress against the south wall, had to be removed.
On clearing away the earth, it was found to be a ponderous cross over 17 feet
in length. The Mylor Churchyard Cross is very old; local tradition believes it
originally was the marker of St Mylor's grave. It has now been re-erected
in the churchyard.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels for the Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive
Methodists, and Independents in the parish.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1673 - 1904, Burials 1673 - 1943,
Marriages 1673 - 1955, Boyd's Marriage Index 1673 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1607 - 1663, Non-Conformist records 1816 - 1837.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-36 Burials.
- Baptisms 1801 to 1904 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1852) of the Falmouth Wesleyan Circuit. These include two registers from Pikes Hill Chapel - baptisms 1871 to 1900 and 1889 to 1900, which include a few marriages. The Circuit covers Falmouth, Budock, Mylor, Stithians, Mawnan, St Gluvias, Wendron and Constantine.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1837 to 1900) of the Falmouth Wesleyan Circuit (Penryn Section), and Penryn Wesleyan Chapel marriages (1893 to 1899). The area covers Penryn, Mabe, Mawnan, Constantine, Budock, St Gluvias, Stithians, Flushing, Edgcumb and Mylor.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1607 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1673 to 1812, and marriage transcripts 1813 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages at Mylor 1813 to 1905 are also listed, courtesy of Cornwall Parish Register Indexes.
- Burials 1673 to 1743, 1761 to 1875, and 1897 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Mylor was originally in the Falmouth Registration District;
there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these
have now been abolished. It is now in the Truro
Registration District. Parishes in the Falmouth registration district were: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal, St. Gluvias.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- Notes on the Parish of Mylor, Cornwall by Hugh P. Olivet, (Published 1907), is available on-line, courtesy of the Old Cornwall Society.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Mylor are available.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Mylor parish was part of the Falmouth
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish of Flushing was created
from part of this parish in 1844.
- Population in 1801 - 1665 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1897 persons
- Population in 1821 - 2193 persons
- Population in 1831 - 2647 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2569 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2203 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2213 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2391 persons
- Population in 1881 - 2207 persons
- Population in 1891 - 2238 persons
- Population in 1901 - 2147 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1979 persons
- Population in 1921 - 2039 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2037 persons
- Population in 1951 - 2074 persons
- Population in 1961 - 2080 persons
- Population in 1971 - 2364 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2385 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2550 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2533 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2548 persons
The parish comprised 3590 acres of land, 3 acres of water, 34 acres of tidal
water and 59 acres of foreshore.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 28th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.