Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Newlyn East

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Newlyn East

The parish of St Newlyn East, (Cornish: Eglosniwlin),(usually abbreviated to Newlyn or Newlyn East), is about five miles south of Newquay. It is sometimes known as Newlyn-in-Pydar, and is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Columb Minor and Colan, on the east by St Enoder, on the south by Ladock, St Erme and St Allen, and on the west by Perranzabuloe, Cubert and Crantock. The parish is named after the patron saint of the church, who was believed to have been martyred by her father. In the 19th century it was a thriving mining community whose history was marred by a disaster in 1846 at the East Wheal Rose mine. An unusually heavy thunderstorm on 9th July, lasting an hour and a quarter, flooded the mine and thirty-nine of the miners - chiefly inhabitants of the churchtown and its immediate vicinity, were drowned. The miners dug a 'Pit' in the village as a memorial and as a gesture of thanksgiving. This is still used today for special occasions such as tea treats. The mine was eventually closed in 1881.

The ancient Borough of Mitchell (St Michael) lies partly in this parish and partly in St Enoder. There is an imposing manor house at Trerice, supposed to have been built in 1570. It is a small Elizabethan manor house, about 4 miles south of Newquay, which was once the home of a younger branch of the Arundells; now it is owned by the National Trust and is open to the public. Trerice was once part of the manor of Degimbris which was owned by the Arundells and was once the Domesday manor of Tregedei.
The village is thriving today and has a school, shops and a sub-post office. A considerable portion of the village of Mitchell, formerly a borough, was in this parish. The chief villages are the Churchtown, Mitchell and Fiddler's Green.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


St Newlyn East - A History of the Parish was published by the St Newlyn East Local Studies Group in 2000 (ISBN 0 9525692 1 3).


  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 280 entries.
  • A separate cemetery of one acre was formed in 1882.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of Newlyn East (HO107/150), Enumeration Districts 3 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of Newlyn East (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 3a and 3b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Newlyn East (RG9/1544), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of St Newlyn East (RG11/2298), Enumeration Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of St Newlyn East (RG12/1820), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Newlyn East area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW8256 and was dedicated to St Newlyn the Virgin ( St Newelina) on "the Friday after St. Matthew" in September 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, south aisle, south transept or Tresillian aisle, and north transept or Cargol manor aisle. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches, and three lesser pointed arches. The church contains the family vault of the Arundells of Trerice. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is of three stages, is buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains five bells. The church was re-roofed in 1846, and a major renewal took place in 1883.
  • Non-Conformist. In this parish were four Wesleyan chapels: one in the Churchtown, one at Mitchell, one at Rejerrow and one at Kestle Mill.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1559 - 1900, Burials 1559 - 1900, Marriages 1559 - 1812, Boyd's Marriage Index 1559 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
  • The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of
    • Pre 1813 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Marriages
    • 1813-37 Burials
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1562 to 1812, and 1675 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Newlyn East Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel baptisms 1839 to 1899, Rejerrah Wesleyan-Methodist baptisms 1857 to 1911, and Mitchell Wesleyan-Methodist baptisms 1882 to 1906, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1715 to 1830 for the parish of Newlyn East.
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1715 to 1850 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore's Marriages 1559 to 1812, 1675 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1715 to 1755 (transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1559 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1675 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1559 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The OPC has placed on-line burials at Newlyn East, as follows:
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
  • Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.

Civil Registration

The parish of Newlyn East was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Truro Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Photographs of Newlyn East are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Newlyn East which are provided by:


  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • The OPC for Newlyn East is Blanche Charles, who has produced a genealogical website for St Allen, Newlyn East, Perranzabuloe and Withiel parishes, and who offers look-ups of parish register, census and Directory information of the parish.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Newlyn East ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Newlyn East has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW820560 (Lat/Lon: 50.363362, -5.066627), Newlyn East which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Newlyn East parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


  • Population in 1801 - 735 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 798 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1045 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1218 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1451 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2152 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1641 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1688 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1414 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 1191 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 1202 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 1119 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 1097 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 1102 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 1233 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 1190 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 1260 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 4040 persons, including 1055 in the village
  • Population in 1991 - 4300 persons, including 1185 in the village
  • Population in 2001 - 1532 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1635 persons


The parish comprises 8371 acres of land.