The parish of St Newlyn East, (Cornish: Eglosniwlin),(usually abbreviated to Newlyn or
Newlyn East), is about five miles south of Newquay. It is sometimes known as Newlyn-in-Pydar, and is situated
in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by St Columb
Minor and Colan, on the east by St Enoder, on the south by Ladock, St Erme and
St Allen, and on the west by Perranzabuloe, Cubert and Crantock. The parish is
named after the patron saint of the church, who was believed to have been
martyred by her father. In the 19th century it was a thriving mining community
whose history was marred by a disaster in 1846 at the East Wheal Rose mine. An
unusually heavy thunderstorm on 9th July, lasting an hour and a quarter,
flooded the mine and thirty-nine of the miners - chiefly inhabitants of the
churchtown and its immediate vicinity, were drowned. The miners dug a
'Pit' in the village as a memorial and as a gesture of thanksgiving. This
is still used today for special occasions such as tea treats. The mine was
eventually closed in 1881.
The ancient Borough of Mitchell (St Michael) lies partly in this parish and partly in St Enoder. There is an imposing manor house at Trerice, supposed to have been built in 1570. It is a small Elizabethan manor house, about 4 miles south of Newquay, which was once the home of a younger branch of the Arundells; now it is owned by the National Trust and is open to the public. Trerice was once part of the manor of Degimbris which was owned by the Arundells and was once the Domesday manor of Tregedei.
The village is thriving today and has a
school, shops and a sub-post office. A considerable portion of the village of
Mitchell, formerly a borough, was in this parish. The chief villages are the
Churchtown, Mitchell and Fiddler's Green.
St Newlyn East - A History of the Parish was published by the St Newlyn
East Local Studies Group in 2000 (ISBN 0 9525692 1 3).
- The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 280 entries.
- A separate cemetery of one acre was formed in 1882.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Newlyn East (HO107/150), Enumeration
Districts 3 to 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Newlyn East (HO107/1905), Enumeration
District 3a and 3b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Newlyn East (RG9/1544), Enumeration
Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of St Newlyn East (RG11/2298), Enumeration
Districts 3 and 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of St Newlyn East (RG12/1820), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8256 and was dedicated to St
Newlyn the Virgin ( St Newelina) on "the Friday after St.
Matthew" in September 1259. It consists of a chancel, nave, south
aisle, south transept or Tresillian aisle, and north transept or Cargol manor
aisle. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches, and three lesser
pointed arches. The church contains the family vault of the Arundells of
Trerice. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is of three stages,
is buttressed on the square, and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it
contains five bells. The church was re-roofed in 1846, and a major renewal took place in 1883.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. In this parish were four Wesleyan chapels: one in the Churchtown, one at Mitchell, one at Rejerrow and one at Kestle Mill.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1559 - 1900, Burials 1559 - 1900,
Marriages 1559 - 1812, Boyd's Marriage Index 1559 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1562 to 1812, and 1675 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Newlyn East Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel baptisms 1839 to 1899, Rejerrah Wesleyan-Methodist baptisms 1857 to 1911, and Mitchell Wesleyan-Methodist baptisms 1882 to 1906, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Parish Chest have published on CD, baptisms 1715 to 1830 for the parish of Newlyn East.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1715 to 1850 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published Baptisms of St Agnes Wesleyan Circuit 1837 - 1900 on CD. The Circuit covers St Agnes, Perranzabuloe, Cubert, St Columb Minor, Newlyn East, Crantock and Mithian. Blackwater Chapel baptisms 1839-1900) and Mount Hawke Chapel baptisms 1850 - 1867 are included.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the Newlyn East Wesleyan Circuit. The Circuit covers Newlyn East, St Allen, Crantock, St Columb Minor, St Enoder, and Perranzabuloe.
- Phillimore's Marriages 1559 to 1812, 1675 to 1773 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1715 to 1755 (transcripts), for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1559 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Burials 1675 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and parish transcripts 1559 to 1901, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The OPC has placed on-line burials at Newlyn East, as follows:
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in CD or Book formats.
- Other Non-Conformist Records. OPC Coverage of Non-Conformist records of this parish is available.
The parish of Newlyn East was originally in the St Columb Registration
District. It is now in the Truro Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St
Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Newlyn East are available on-line.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Newlyn East ecclesiastical parish:
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC for
Newlyn East is Blanche Charles, who
has produced a
genealogical website for St Allen, Newlyn East, Perranzabuloe and Withiel parishes, and who offers
look-ups of parish register, census and Directory information of the parish.
Newlyn East parish was part of the St
Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Population in 1801 - 735 persons
- Population in 1811 - 798 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1045 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1218 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1451 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2152 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1641 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1688 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1414 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1191 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1202 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1119 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1097 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1102 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1233 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1190 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1260 persons
- Population in 1981 - 4040
persons, including 1055 in the village
- Population in 1991 - 4300 persons,
including 1185 in the village
- Population in 2001 - 1532 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1635 persons
The parish comprises 8371 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 30th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.