GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Newquay

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish and town of Newquay, (Cornish: Tewynn Pleustri), is a thriving tourist resort on the north coast of Cornwall. This one-time fishing village, was originally called Towan Blystra and unknown apart from its pilchard catch. The shoals of fish were sighted by the huer perched in the Huer's Hut on the headland - giving rise to the expression "hue and cry' as he shouted to the villagers to direct them to the pilchards off the coastline. The quay here was first recorded in 1439. This pilchard industry has now gone, and the town is now famed for its large beaches and surfing. The international surfing championships are held here on Fistral Beach from time to time.

The cliffs on this part of the coast are lofty and interesting. The town has a railway station and the nearby RAF St Mawgan military air base also doubles as Newquay's civil airport. During the summer months the town is very busy with visitors from all over the UK and many from Europe and the rest of the world.

The ecclesiastical parish of Newquay was created 1882 from part of St Columb Minor parish. In 1960 Newquay formally subsumed St Columb Minor civil parish, which has become a suburb of Newquay.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for OLD Cemetery - 542 entries.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish from its creation, and that for St Columb Minor (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. In the 19th century it was always enumerated under St Columb Minor.
The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Newquay was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Registration District of St Austell. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan-in-Pydar, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Newquay parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

The parish was created 1882 from part of St Columb Minor parish. From 1961 the figures include those of St Columb Minor parish which is no longer separately enumerated.

  • Population in 1801 - 1298 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 1484 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1686 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1864 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2131 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 2704 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 2448 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 2681 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 3119 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 3357 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 4529 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 6084 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 8312 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 7651 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 9930 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 11881 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 15017 persons
  • Population in Newquay parish in 1981 - 14205 persons
  • Population in Newquay Town in 1981 - 14125 persons
  • Population in Newquay parish in 1991 - 17510 persons
  • Population in Newquay Town in 1991 - 17395 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 19423 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 20836 persons

Return to top of page

Societies

The Newquay Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 3467 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.