GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

North Hill

The parish of North Hill, (Cornish: Bre Gledh), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by Lewannick, on the east by Lezant and Linkinhorne, on the south by Linkinhorne and St Cleer, and on the west by Alternun. North Hill (or now more commonly spelled Northill) is a pleasant small village but within a large parish located on the eastern edge of Bodmin Moor. The parish is divided into east and west portions by the River Lynher. The parish occupies an attractive hilly remote area with farming country to the east. Stone for the construction of Westminster Bridge was quarried from this district. The Trebartha estate, one of four farms mentioned in the Domesday Book, remained in the possession of the same family from 1066 until 1940, when it was sold to the Latham family. The hall was then used as an RAMC hospital during the Second World War, but it was eventually demolished in 1948.

The principal villages of the parish are the Churchtown, Coads Green, Bathpool, Middlewood, Congdons Shop, Illand or Yeiland, Newtown and Trebartha.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Coads Green Methodist Chapel - 673 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Cornwall Legacy have published on CD all the census records for North Hill between 1841 and 1891.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of North Hill is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.

Description & Travel


Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in North Hill ecclesiastical parish:

Land & Property

The Parliamentary Survey of the Duchy of Cornwall was undertaken in 1649 to 1650 to record and value all the lands in the Duchy that had been owned by the Crown. A transcript of this survey with explanatory notes was published by the Devon & Cornwall Record Society in 1982 and 1984, it was edited by NJG Pounds. Names of persons listed are from the manors that lie in the parishes of South Hill, North Hill, and Stoke Climsland.



Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

North Hill parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


  • Population in 1801 - 782 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 803 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1089 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1155 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 1217 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1193 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1263 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1392 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 1059 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 971 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 830 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 771 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 688 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 696 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 736 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 665 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 650 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 760 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 836 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 917 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1019 persons

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for North Hill are no longer available on-line.


The parish comprises 7235 acres of land and 25 acres of water.

Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI ( website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.