GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  UpDevon Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

North Tamerton

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

"TAMERTON, NORTH (ST. DENIS), a parish, in the union of HOLSWORTHY, hundred of STRATTON, E. division of CORNWALL, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Holsworthy; containing 589 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4775 acres, of which 450 are common or waste; the surface is in general hilly; the soil, though various, is for the most part a poor clayey earth. The River Tamar and the Bude canal run through the parish, parallel with each other, from north to south. The living is a donative curacy; net income, £230; patrons, R.P. Coffin, Esq., and the Heirs of the late Colonel l'Ans; the glebe contains about 20 acres. There is a delapidated chapel at Hornacut." [From Samuel Lewis: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]

The parish of Tamerton is called North Tamerton, (Cornish: Tre war Damer), to distinguish it from Tamerton Folliot in Devon. It is situated in the Hundred of Stratton and Deanery of Trigg Major. The parish is bounded on the north by the detached part of Devon called Bridgerule, and by the parish of Pyworth in Devon, on the east by the Devon parishes of Clawton, Tetcot and Luffincot, on the south by Boyton, and on the west by Week St Mary and Whitstone. This thinly-populated parish is in North Cornwall right on the Devonshire border. It was the only parish in Cornwall that extended onto the east of the River Tamar.

The name is of English origin, meaning 'estate on the River Tamar'. The village and its 15th century church stand above the River Tamar. There was no Churchtown, and the only village was Ragged Hill.


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church


In general, the parish of North Tamerton has been enumerated as part of Devon. However, Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office.
The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Snetzler, M.F. North Devon Surname Index to the Census. Microfiche: M.F. Snetzler, Barcott, Buckland Brewer, Bideford, Devon EX39 5LN. [Covers 1861, 1871 and 1881 census records for this parish].

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of North Tamerton was originally in the Clawton, sub-district of the Holsworthy Registration District of Devon from 1837 to 1844; it was still enumerated under those arrangements until after the 1861 census. It is now in the Stratton Registration District of Cornwall. Parishes within the district are: Jacobstow, Kilkhampton, Launcells, Marhamchurch, Morwenstow, Poughill, Poundstock, St. Gennys, Stratton, Stratton and Bude, Week St. Mary, Whitstone.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: The Parkhouse Centre, Ergue Gaberic Way, Bude, EX23 8LF. Tel: 01288 353209.

Description & Travel


OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in North Tamerton ecclesiastical parish:


Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.


  • Population in 1801 - 403 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 420 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 479 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 517 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 589 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 516 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 486 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 469 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 469 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 430 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 329 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 325 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 344 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 323 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 301 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 259 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 269 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 275 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 274 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 288 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 356 persons


The parish comprises 5904 acres of land, one acre of water and 77 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page

Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.

Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI ( website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.