We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Otterham, (Cornish: Sen Tenia), is situated in the Deanery of Lesnewth and Hundred of Trigg Major. It is bounded on the north by St Gennys, on the east by Warbstow, on the south by Davidstow, and on the west by St Juliot. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Otrham. The parish is named after the River Otter on which it is situated. It lies 6 miles north-east of Camelford. It consists of open farmland with small hamlets and farms spread fairly evenly across the parish. There is a disused railway line in the South of the parish and a small hamlet has grown up at Otterham Station. Its main industry is farming.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Otterham (HO107/140), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Otterham (HO107/1898), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Otterham is listed in Volume 4. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Otterham (RG9/1515), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Otterham (RG11/2272), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Otterham (RG12/1799), Enumeration District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX1690 and was dedicated to Saint Denis. It consists of a chancel, nave, and south aisle; the north transept has been removed and the arch built up. The arcade has four four-centred arches of granite. The entrances are a south porch and a west, or tower, door. The tower is of three stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it was rebuilt in 1792, is 40 feet high, and contained three bells.
- Non-Conformist. The Non-Conformist arrangements for Otterham are not known.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Otterham are: C049381, E049381, M049381/2. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1681 - 1811.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1667 - 1979, Burials 1687 - 1978, Marriages 1687 - 1978, Boyd's Marriage Index 1614 - 1811, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812, BTs 1612 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Phillimore's marriages 1686 to 1811 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1615 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms and marriages 1700 to 1845 for this parish.
- Burials 1687 to 1910 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Otterham is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.
The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.
Description and Travel
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Otterham which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Otterham ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Otterham has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX160900 (Lat/Lon: 50.680433, -4.605907), Otterham which are provided by:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Otterham (1823- 1833) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Otterham parish was part of the Camelford Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1809 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 141 persons
- Population in 1811 - 176 persons
- Population in 1821 - 212 persons
- Population in 1831 - 227 persons
- Population in 1841 - 234 persons
- Population in 1851 - 198 persons
- Population in 1861 - 160 persons
- Population in 1871 - 156 persons
- Population in 1881 - 163 persons
- Population in 1891 - 154 persons
- Population in 1901 - 171 persons
- Population in 1911 - 209 persons
- Population in 1921 - 197 persons
- Population in 1931 - 199 persons
- Population in 1951 - 216 persons
- Population in 1961 - 206 persons
- Population in 1971 - 203 persons
- Population in 1981 - 215 persons
- Population in 1991 - 206 persons
- Population in 2001 - 228 persons
- Population in 2011 - 234 persons
The parish comprised 3295 acres of land.