Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The small village of Pencoys, (Cornish: Pennkoes), is located two miles south of the town of Redruth on the B3297. The nearby village of Four Lanes stands 250 feet above sea level, overlooking the towns of Redruth and Camborne. Carn Brea is an Iron Age fort dating from 200 B.C. In the past, tin mining and quarrying used to be the main occupations of the area.
The parish was created from part of Wendron parish in 1881. The main village of the parish is Four Lanes.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
For 1841 to 1881 - see under Wendron. Census information for this parish (1891-1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
- 1861. In the 1861 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
- 1871. In the 1871 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish.
- 1881. In the 1881 Census, Pencoys was enumerated as part of Wendron parish. The 1881 Census of the UK can be searched on-line courtesy of familySearch.org.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Pencoys (RG12/1839), Enumeration Districts 14 to 13, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project - COCP.
- Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6838, at Four Lanes, and is dedicated to St Andrew. It was erected in 1882 and is built of stone and granite in the Decorated style; it comprises a chancel, nave, porch and a western bellcote containing one bell. The registers date from 1882.
- Non-Conformist. There is a Four Lanes Methodist Church in Four Lanes.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1881 - 1916, Burials 1884 - 1914, Marriages 1882 - 1978.
- Baptisms. Baptisms 1881 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1882 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials. Burials 1884 to 1912 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Pencoys was originally part of Wendron which was in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District.
The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.
You can see pictures of Carnkie which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW680390 (Lat/Lon: 50.205366, -5.252718), Carnkie which are provided by:
Pencoys parish became part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief when it was created.
Pencoys was created from part of Wendron parish in 1881. Population figures before this date are with Wendron.
- Population in 1881 - 700 persons
- Population in 1891 - 705 persons
- Population in 1901 - 642 persons
- Population in 1911 - 582 persons
- Population in 1921 - 461 persons
- Population in 1931 - 430 persons
- Population in 1951 - 389 persons
- Population in 1961 - 560 persons
- Population in 1971 - 680 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1165 persons (Four Lanes only)
- Population in 1991 - 2434 persons
- Population in 2001 - 0 persons
The parish comprises 0000 acres of land.