Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Penzance St John
The parish occupies the south-eastern part of the town of Penzance. This parish, (Cornish: Pennsans Sen Jowann), was created in 1882 from Penzance, St Mary parish. The civil parish of St John is now but a part of Penzance Borough.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
This parish was formed in 1882. Census information for this parish (1891) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Penzance, St John is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW4730 and was dedicated to St John the Baptist. The parish was formed from St Mary's parish in 1883 to serve the eastern part of Penzance. The church is sited at the top of Trewartha terrace; it is a building of moor stone, with granite dressings, in the Early English style. It was erected in 1881 at cost of £7,000, and consist of chancel, nave of four bays, transept, aisles, east and west porches and has one bell; there are sittings for 600 persons. The register dates from the year 1881.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Penzance St John which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW474308 (Lat/Lon: 50.123325, -5.535415), Penzance St John which are provided by:
Penzance St John parish was part of the Penzance Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Population figures for this parish are included as part of Penzance Town. However, in 1901 the population for Penzance, St John is recorded as 1290 persons.