Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Perranarworthal, (Cornish: Pyran ar Woethel), is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier; it is bounded on the north by Kea, on the east by Restronguet Creek and Mylor, on the south by St Gluvias and Stithians, and on the west by Gwennap. The name is composed of the saint's name, Piran, plus the name of the manor, Arworthal. This parish contains the ancient village of Perranwell, described in Murrays Hand-Book of 1865 as a village romantically situated in a deep bottom or dell at the head of Restronguet Creek, which is here joined by the Kennal, a small stream rising near Carmenillis.
The other village of note in the parish was Perranwharf. Until the creek silted up, there was waterborne trade in copper ore and pig-iron, the Perran Wharf Foundry being managed by the Fox family of Falmouth. These Iron Works were the first of any considerable capability in Cornwall.
The old Norway Inn on the A39 from Truro recalls the days when Scandinavian timber was imported.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Perranarworthal (HO107/138), Enumeration Districts 6 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Perranarworthal parish (HO107/1911), Enumeration Districts 1a, 1b, and 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Perranarworthal is listed in Volume 22. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Perranarworthal parish (RG9/1564), Enumeration Districts 6b, 7b, 8b and 8 [including Workhouse], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1871 Census of Perranarworthal parish (RG10/2291), Enumeration Districts 6 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Perranarworthal (RG11/2315), Enumeration Districts 6 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Perranarworthal (RG12/1833), Enumeration Districts 6 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
The parish of Stithians has been linked with the village of Perran-ar-worthal since the 12th century and, although they are only one ecclesiastical parish, they operate as two, both serving populations in excess of two thousand souls. The churches in Perranarworthal are:
- Parish Church. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7738 and was dedicated to St Piran. It consists of a chancel, nave and south aisle. The chancel was rebuilt in 1841/42. The arcade comprises five low, obtuse and two modern pointed arches, the material of which is granite. The tower is of three stages and is finished with battlements and crocketed pinnacles, the latter surmounted with balls and crosses. The belfry contains six bells.
- Ponsanooth. There is a chapel-of-ease at Ponsanooth; the chapel is a building of granite in the Gothic style, consisting of a chancel, and nave and has 130 sittings. It is dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
- There was anciently a chapel at Cosawes, near here, dedicated to St Mary Magdelene.
In the late 1970s the parish of Gwennap was added to the benefice, and the three churches are now served by a Vicar, a NSM Curate, a reader and a retired priest.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Bible Christians had neat chapels here.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Perranarworthal are: C023271, C052981, C052981, M052982. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1597 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1739 - 1875, Burials 1739 - 1961, Marriages 1739 - 1984, Boyd's Marriage Index 1601 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1601 - 1673.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- Pre 1813 Marriages
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials
- Baptisms 1739 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Perranwell Wesleyan Methodist Chapel baptisms 1841 to 1912 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1739 to 1838 for this parish which can be purchased on Parish Chest.
- Banns. Banns 1754 to 1798 and 1830 to 1911 for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1597 to 1837, which is available in CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's marriages 1694 to 1812, Bishop's transcripts 1684 to 1736, and parish transcriptions 1739 to 1900, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1739 to 1911, and stillborn and unbaptised 1860 to 1905, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.
The parish of Perranarworthal was originally in the Falmouth Registration District; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn, but these have now been abolished. It is now in the Truro Registration District. Parishes in the Falmouth registration district were: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal, St. Gluvias
The address of the Superintendant Registrar in Truro is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Perranarworthal which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The parish and town tithe maps, and accompanying survey books of c1840, provide a fascinating snap-shot of land use and ownership in the 19th century. In order to preserve the documents and improve access to them, the Cornwall Record Office are digitising these maps and survey books. The CD ROM tithe package include a map and survey books, together with a reader, for this parish; it is now available from the Cornwall Record Office. Details are on their website.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW770380 (Lat/Lon: 50.199847, -5.126205), Perranarworthal which are provided by:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Perranarworthal (1742 - 1794) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Perranarworthal parish was part of the Falmouth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1811 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1753 to 1837) and some Bastardy Bond information, are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 884 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1104 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1326 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1504 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1755 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1634 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1517 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1493 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1102 persons
- Population in 1891 - 992 persons
- Population in 1901 - 914 persons
- Population in 1911 - 896 persons
- Population in 1921 - 887 persons
- Population in 1931 - 888 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1040 persons
- Population in 1961 - 998 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1255 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1380 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1515 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1558 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1496 persons
The parish comprises 1862 acres of land.