The parish of Perranuthnoe, (Cornish: Pyranudhno), (Little Pieran, Lanuthnoe), is situated in
the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north, east and west
by St Hilary, and on the south by Mount's Bay. The name is composed of the
saint's name, Piran, plus the name of the manor: Uthno. The
village is situated on the south coast of Cornwall within sight of St Michael's
Mount. Prussia Cove, in this parish, was home to perhaps the most famous 17th
century family of Cornish smugglers, the Carters. John Carter, the eldest son,
named the cove Prussia Cove, because of his deep admiration for Fredrick the
Great, King of Prussia. John Carter himself became known as the King of
Prussia, as he engaged in ever more daring encounters with the revenue.
Although John Carter's cottage was demolished in 1906, the cove still holds
the romance of its notorious connections with wrecking and
Within the parish is the village of Goldsithney which means:
'Sithney Fair', a fair was moved to Goldsithney from Sithney in 1283. The
only other village is the Churchtown.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Perranuthnoe (HO107/143), Enumeration
Districts 5 to 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Perranuthnoe (HO107/1918), Enumeration
Districts 1a, 1b and 1c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Perranuthnoe is listed in
Volume 26. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre, (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library from which
it can be purchased.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG9/1591), Enumeration
Districts 5 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG10/2336) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG11/2343), Enumeration
Districts 5 to 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Perranuthnoe (RG12/1855) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
project as follows:
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW5329 and was dedicated to St
Piran & St Nicholas. It was originally erected in the middle of the 13th century, and it consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept and south porch. The north aisle was added in Tudor times when the tower was also added. The arcade consists of five four-centred arches supported on monolith granite pillars. There is also a north door. The tower has three
stages, and is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contained three
bells. The church was restored in 1883.
Details about the plans of the modern church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. The Wesleyan Methodists and Association Methodists each had a chapel in Goldsithney; the Wesleyan Methodists also had chapels at the
Churchtown and in Trevean.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1562 - 1883, Burials 1562 - 1906,
Marriages 1589 - 1971, Boyd's Marriage Index 1589 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 -1812.
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published on-line transcripts of:
- 1813-37 Marriages
- 1813-37 Burials in the parish.
The parish of Perranuthnoe has been in the Penzance
Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were
originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives
and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1087. The following places have been identified in Perranuthnoe ecclesiastical parish:
- Perranuthnoe parish was part of the Penzance
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1716 to 1769) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 506 persons
- Population in 1811 - 626 persons
- Population in 1821 - 786 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1033 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1438 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1229 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1507 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1191 persons
- Population in 1881 - 896 persons
- Population in 1891 - 819 persons
- Population in 1901 - 812 persons
- Population in 1911 - 798 persons
- Population in 1921 - 748 persons
- Population in 1931 - 742 persons
- Population in 1951 - 886 persons
- Population in 1961 - 868 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1131 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1540 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1830 persons
- Population in 2001 - 2200 persons
- Population in 2011 - 2184 persons
Admons for Perranuthnoe parish, 1661-1730 are available on-line.
The parish comprises 1101 acres of land and 64 acres of foreshore.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 29th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.